Compatibility Issue

Reaction score
Just installed clean copy of W7 home premium, now trying to upgrade to W10. installation stops with error code 0xc1900208 (incompatible app) Can someone tell me how to find the problem? Is there an application that can scan everything including drivers?

Reaction score
A couple of things, Is your Win7 SP1, 64/32 bit UEFI or MBR?
Insure your using a 10 that matches up with your Wind 7
Did you try windows 10 upgrade assistant Do you have a product Key for 10 home?
Did you create your USB Install media from the MCT on MS web site?
All my computers were on 8.1 when I upgreaded to 10 and I did it with in 1st year to get the free upgrade. So I'm not real sure how you do this today for free?
If you already had 10 installed on that computer then you don't need to install 7 at all just install 10 MS activation Servers would already have your hardware on file and activate for you.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Dan,

Working out the culprit app really depends on how you are upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

If you have using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to download a Windows 10 ISO to install from then you can review a couple of log files located at C:\Windows\Panther named:
  1. setupact.log
  2. setuperr.log

If you upgraded in a different manner, or even if you did upgrade as above, you can also go to C:\Windows\Panther then locate the most recent time-stamped file named compat*.xml

Open
the most recent one and if you read through that you'll soon see which app is not compatible.

Once you know which app is not compatible, simply remove it for now, and continue the upgrade, which ought to go fine once the offending app is no longer present. Then when fully upgraded, you can check for that problematic app to see whether there is something released that works in the Windows 10 environment.

Reaction score
looking at Microsoft windows 10 website, upgrading from W7 you must have SP1 installed. I didn't meet this requirement, gone back and updated home premium to include SP1 and am currently downloading W10. Feel this will solve the issue.

Reaction score
Hi Dan,

Working out the culprit app really depends on how you are upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

If you have using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to download a Windows 10 ISO to install from then you can review a couple of log files located at C:\Windows\Panther named:
  1. setupact.log
  2. setuperr.log

If you upgraded in a different manner, or even if you did upgrade as above, you can also go to C:\Windows\Panther then locate the most recent time-stamped file named compat*.xml

Open
the most recent one and if you read through that you'll soon see which app is not compatible.

Once you know which app is not compatible, simply remove it for now, and continue the upgrade, which ought to go fine once the offending app is no longer present. Then when fully upgraded, you can check for that problematic app to see whether there is something released that works in the Windows 10 environment.

upgraded home premium to include SP1, got the same error message "something went wrong" 0xc1900208 Looked at the Panther directory, there were no compat.xml files. Any suggestions, thinking about reformatting the C drive and starting all over??

Reaction score
upgraded home premium to include SP1, got the same error message "something went wrong" 0xc1900208 Looked at the Panther directory, there were no compat.xml files. Any suggestions, thinking about reformatting the C drive and starting all over??

Reaction score
Well if your upgrading to 10 from a clean install of win 7 it must be a hardware driver that's the issue try removing everything except your Graphic monitor, mouse and keyboard, look for win 10 drivers for everything else after you get 10 loaded you can load the 10 drivers and hardware 1 item at a time.

Ask a Question