SOLVED Compatibility mode

T_J

Reaction score
My 2012 Dell was 'windows updated' from W7 to W10 in 2016. I was recently at Dell website and found 3 recommended updates (not urgent): BIOS, chipset driver and network driver. Has anyone updated BIOS or chipset driver in compatibility mode?

I downloaded the 3 updates, and tried updating the network driver (not in compatibility mode), installer stopped before finishing. I restored hard drive image afterwards. Dell is running great. I updated the BIOS on my 2000 Dell years ago, but I was braver (?) back then.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
. Has anyone updated BIOS or chipset driver in compatibility mode?
You can't....not possible. As the update for the BIOS and chipset are to make it compatible with what ever the issue is that the updates are for.

What is the make/model of your Dell? Please provide the service tag number.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Note: Keep in mind that updating the BIOS, if not done correctly can brick your system. There are 2 ways to update your BIOS. Manually, (with in the BIOS itself) which is a tad bit harder/complicated...."BUT".....once done a few times it's pretty straight forward. The other is with in windows itself and super easy....if Dell provides that method. Not all vendors do.

https://www.dell.com/support/articl...o-update-the-bios-on-your-dell-system?lang=en

T_J

Reaction score
2012 Dell Inspiron 660 Fast Track 0206, W10, i3-2120, 64-bit. The BIOS & Chipset updates for my Dell did have instructions for running the update from Windows environment (but this may be W7/W8 environment?). Since I cold brick the Dell, I'll probably wait a few more years. Thanks

had Dell Support check for updates:
Inspiron 660 Vostro 270 Bios A11 (supporting OS - BIOS)
Chipset_Driver_9016K_WN_9.5.14.1724_A01 (supporting OS - Windows 8.1, 64-bit ; Windows 10, 64-bit)

Ask a Question