Tune-up Utilities Compatibility Mode

Reaction score
I have Tune-up Utilities, and it has programs that run while computer is idle. When they start to run, I get a popup notification that OneClickStarter is running in Compatibility Mode. So I checked ALL the exe's for Tuneup and all of them have Run In Compatibility Mode UNCHECKED, including Change Settings For All Users. I'm getting tired of having to confirm it every time it wants to run in the background. Is it possible to turn off Compatibility Mode completely?

Compatibility Mode.jpg

Properties.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it possible to turn off Compatibility Mode completely?
Is it possible that perhaps this particular third party program is not fully Windows 10 compliant?
IS there a newer version that specifically states that it supports Windows 10?
If so maybe consider upgrading to the latest version.
If not maybe consider uninstalling it completely.
Reboot and if you feel you really need this program, attempt to reinstall it.

Reaction score
Dear Todd,
your error report dated 2015-08-05 mirrors exactly the observations that I have with TuneUp 2014 running on Windows 10.

However, on three of my computers upgraded with 64-Bits Windows 10 (Editions Home and Pro N), TuneUp Utilities 2014 is running without the nasty windows referring to compatibility mode.
But on the only computer with 32-Bits Windows 10 (Edition Pro N), TuneUp Utilities 2014 is running with the nasty windows.

This information might help the Microsoft software engineers to fix this error in windows 10.

To add some urgency, I recall a time long ago when it was Microsoft's strength that new windows versions were capable of running the programs installed on previous windows versions.

I look forward to running TuneUp Utilities on 32-Bit Windows 10 as well.

Reaction score
Tuneup Utilities 2014 is compatible, but only if you have the latest update. We have recently installed Windows 10 (update from Windows 8) on my husband's laptop (64 bit), which is when the trouble started. The usual "compatibility mode" message. Because we couldn't run Tuneup Utilities we couldn't update it either. However, my laptop is still using Windows 7 so my version of Tuneup Utilities was up-to-date and working. By renaming the Tuneup Utilities 2014 folder on my husband's computer (you may have to stop the task first despite the fact that it apparently cannot be run) and then copying the entire folder over from mine we now have a working version on Windows 2010! I hope this helps.

Reaction score
I try to avoid using such programs, some of them do more harm than good. I do use Windows 10 Manager but only the manual settings.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know this is a little late to be adding to this, but I wanted to share my solution after encountering the same issue. I was brought here by Google search. There isn't much coverage for this issue.

I opened up task manager, and disabled the Tuneup service under the services tab. I opened Services and set the service to start Manually, as opposed to automatically. Since I have done that, I have had zero pop-ups, on my desktop and on my laptop.

Hope that helps.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Canowyrms and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for sharing that information with us.
I believe it might prove useful to others as well.
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know this is a little late to be adding to this, but I wanted to share my solution after encountering the same issue. I was brought here by Google search. There isn't much coverage for this issue.

I opened up task manager, and disabled the Tuneup service under the services tab. I opened Services and set the service to start Manually, as opposed to automatically. Since I have done that, I have had zero pop-ups, on my desktop and on my laptop.

Hope that helps.

That works for me too. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Hi Canowyrms,

So great you found a solution to this. But when I opened Task Manager and found Tune Up and went to the Services tab, I couldn't find where to disable the service? Could you clarify how/where you did that?

Thanks a bunch! This is driving me crazy!

Reaction score
Yes I recall coming across this post before I discovered my solution.

I agree that most of the application is snake oil; I actually disable anything and everything that is automatic from running. I use the application for only a few small tasks, such as the startup manager. I originally started using this on Windows 7; I would remove shortcut arrows from the desktop icons and change the login screen background. After years of use, it just became common habit to install this on a fresh OS installation. On windows 7 (installed on a mechanical hard drive), I'd also find use of the registry defrag on occasion,though once I switched to an SSD I found no use for that particular utility. In windows 10, I would actually advise against using this utility.

I do find some areas of this program useful, in a niche sort of way, but most of the program is, in the grand scheme of things, useless.

Edit : typo

Last edited:
Reaction score
hi, i had the same problem when upgrading to windows 10 from windows 7,OneClickStarter kept popping up i had Tune Up Utililites 2011,i think it was not avg - http://ayemene.unblog.fr/2013/01/13/cle-d-activation-de-tune-up-utilities-2011/, could not find it in device manager so used revo uninstaller, advanced,clicked on all the bold items listed,restarted computer downloaded avg tune up utilites 2016, set up ,scanned, rebot several times, shut down several times , OneClickStarter not showing up at all,worked for me....

Ask a Question