Continuous BSOD // VIDEO TDR FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)

Reaction score
I had the same problem just with intel graphics. Cept crashing. Went to Frys (big electronics store in california) and they told me my graphics cards were overheating and this is why the computer shuts down, to prevent damage to the graphics card and u cannot replace the graphics card without removing the motherboard which is really expensive so im going to have to wait and buy a new computer :(

Reaction score
I had the same problem just with intel graphics. Cept crashing. Went to Frys (big electronics store in california) and they told me my graphics cards were overheating and this is why the computer shuts down, to prevent damage to the graphics card and u cannot replace the graphics card without removing the motherboard which is really expensive so im going to have to wait and buy a new computer :(

While you can't easily replace the graphics card, you can do what you can to keep overheating to a minimum. Make sure the cooling vents in your computer (be it a laptop or a desktop) are clean and free of "dust bunnies". You can try blowing the system out yourself with a can of compressed air or (for a very low cost) any service center can do it for you.

If you have a laptop, don't use it directly in your lap or on any kind of fabric surface, such as a sofa or stuffed chair. This blocks the air intakes and causes overheating. Even a hard surface (such as the top of your desk) might not allow enough air flow under it. I had a Dell laptop that overheated easily... It really helped (believe it or not) to simply set it on a pair of chopsticks. That created a little air space under it that really helped with the air flow.

Lastly, if you are going to run programs that are very processor or video card intensive, close down as many other applications as possible.

Again, none of these ideas will "fix" the issue, but they might make the issue a little less troublesome.

Reaction score
I "fixed" the issue with a Lenovo Z710 laptop recently upgraded to Windows 10 by disabling the NVidia graphics processor since this laptop has two, Intel and NVidia. This stopped the video_tdr_failure error dead in its tracks. Before doing this radical "fix" I tried numerous fiddles with parameters of the NVidia graphics including going back to a prior version, setting TdrDelay to 4, etc without any success at all - hours f trying did not work.

The bad side-effect of no NVidia graphics is, alas, slower graphics however the positive side-effect is the system is not crashing and rebooting within seconds of starting up graphics-intensive games, etc. Until NVidia fixes their software this will simply have to do.

My daughter is now playing "Blade and Soul" in the other room where before she was just calling me when confronted with the BSOD; she is nto bothered by the slightly slower graphics of the Intel processor set.

This is a big win...sort of.

Reaction score
Greetings to all,
I have a Asus P5KPL, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, NVidia 8800GT. Video driver in use is "341.92-desktop-win10-64bit-international" (very recent).

Maybe I solved the problem modifying a BIOS option related to energy savings CPU.

The option, in CPU features group, is "CPU TM function" . I disabled it. Since few days I have not had "Video_TDR_failure" on resume from sleep.

Probably nVidia GeForce 8800 GTvideo card is not very compatible with advanced power management.

I hope that this solution is final...

Reaction score
Dear friends I'm sorry ... Today occurred the error again...
I tried to uninstall and reinstall the video driver from Device Manager ("Driver update" and point to C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver)

let's try this too...

Reaction score
Decisive solution --- It appears that most of the problems "Video_TDR_failure" occurs with the old build of Windows 10 RTM. With version 1015, buid 10586, the problem seems solved ...! I upgraded my windows 10 to buid 10586 and I no longer no case of issue "Video_TDR_failure"

Ask a Question