SOLVED Hard disk working continuously and PC very slow

Reaction score
Hello,

My computer (Asus transformer Aio) is very slow, it takes long to open a window or browse internet, or wake up from the screen saver. The hard disk is working non stop, the light is on all the time and I can hear it.

I tried to clean it with windows tools (defrag), and ran CCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware but they didn't find anything wrong. I just launched the Windows Defender complete analysis. The basic one says nothing wrong as well.

What could it be ? How can I manage this ?

Thank you !

Reaction score
Ok thank you !
But I'm not sure I'll be able to find where the problem comes from with this method. But I'm going to try.

Reaction score
It seems to work. PC is a bit quicker and the hard disk works less.
It'll be tedious and very long to identify the problem now... if I follow what they say in your link.

Reaction score
Strange... After trying to identify the service in cause without success, I put back everithing like before. And... it still works !
Well, I'll see if it maintains, as usually the problem grows after a few days..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, keep us posted as to how things progress.
The investigation process is pretty tedious but worth the effort if the problem returns.
It's just a matter of taking the time to turn on the non-Microsoft services one at a time or in very small groups of two or three and reboot after each change to test the impact on the machine.
Then doing the same process with the Startup items.
Remembering that often, some startup items will also have associated non-Microsoft services so you have to apply some logic when re-enabling them.

Reaction score
Hello,
My computer is still working well. I keep the task manager open and I've been able to see that when the hard drive is working "for apparently no reason", it's the Windows defender antimalware service that is running. So I assume that's normal if it's not all the time like it was !
Thank's for everything !

Reaction score
Hello,

My computer (Asus transformer Aio) is very slow, it takes long to open a window or browse internet, or wake up from the screen saver. The hard disk is working non stop, the light is on all the time and I can hear it.

I tried to clean it with windows tools (defrag), and ran CCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware but they didn't find anything wrong. I just launched the Windows Defender complete analysis. The basic one says nothing wrong as well.

What could it be ? How can I manage this ?

Thank you !

i would like to know from you, please have you been able to solve the issue?? Am also going through the same problem or a couple of weeks now and am even confused

Reaction score
Well it seems solved... but I don't know why !
I applied the process described in the link "Trouble" gave me at the beginning of this thread. And the problem disappeared even though I put back everything like before. I couldn't identify the source of the problem, other that the temporary running of the Windows defender antimalware service. But this occupies the hard disk 100% for a few minutes.

Reaction score
I heard that Microsoft uses everyone's computers as virtual servers to pull files from when they are upgrading to WIndows 10. I believe you can turnoff this, but I cannot remember how.

Reaction score
just pass malwarebyte sometime a hidded process run in backgroup and you dont see the process its behind a rootkit

Reaction score
Well... After a while scrutinizing my computer I think it's solved.
These last weeks the problem occured when I'd Edge opened for some time (sometimes very short, sometimes longer). I see in the task manager that it suddenly keeps busy the whole memory (more than 95%) and goes worse if I just wait for it to calm down. So I shut it down and everythink goes well again.
Sometimes it's also the Microsoft antivirus that keeps busy the memory but it quickly returns to normal.
Thank you all for your answers !

Ask a Question