Hard Disk Errors .... Image/Backup Advice

Reaction score
Win 10 Fam ...

So, all I wanted to do was move the files off my existing HD to a larger HD and it has turned into a NIGHTMARE!

First I tried the Seagate Wizard and it appeared to work, but the new hard drive would not boot up. It would go to the Splash Screen and the little circle would just spin for hours.

So I tried to do an image and that is when all heck broke lose. I got a message saying the hard drive had errors so it could not make an image. When I scan the hard drive through Windows it does not find any errors. But when I did ChkDsk it found some errors but it was unable to repair them (see pictures)

So .. my question is: is there a way within Windows to repair the errors? Is there a way I can transfer the data to my new hard drive? Is there any software that "really works" that is freeware or that I can purchase that will repair the errors?

The thing is that the hard drive works fine. I just cannot transfer the data to a new one.

Thanks

Attachments

• error1.jpg
    error1.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 590
  • error 2.jpg
    error 2.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 601

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you run "CHKDSK /X", it'll try to force dismount the drive and check it - and if it's your Windows partition, it won't do this. Instead, it'll ask if you'd like to schedule a disk check when you restart your PC, select "Y" here. Restart the PC and it should attempt to fix the errors for you. :)

After that, hopefully making the disk image will work. If not, you could always do a clean install of Windows 10 and then manually move the data over.

Reaction score
When you want to move an install to a new drive an image is the best way. I use the Microsoft Backup Image but it is restricted in some ways and certainly needs a new drive at least as large and the one the image was made from.

There are some third party utilities which others might recommend. The drive has to be configured to boot which the image will do.

If you are still trying to move to the new drive after your problems, you may need to clean the new drive and start over.

Reaction score
If you run "CHKDSK /X", it'll try to force dismount the drive and check it - and if it's your Windows partition, it won't do this. Instead, it'll ask if you'd like to schedule a disk check when you restart your PC, select "Y" here. Restart the PC and it should attempt to fix the errors for you. :)

After that, hopefully making the disk image will work. If not, you could always do a clean install of Windows 10 and then manually move the data over.

Thank you for the advice. I tried that and it still doesn't work. I am trying to keep from doing a new install because I have so many programs that I will have to install. It would take me a day to install.

Thanks

Reaction score
When you want to move an install to a new drive an image is the best way. I use the Microsoft Backup Image but it is restricted in some ways and certainly needs a new drive at least as large and the one the image was made from.

There are some third party utilities which others might recommend. The drive has to be configured to boot which the image will do.

If you are still trying to move to the new drive after your problems, you may need to clean the new drive and start over.

It looks like I am going to have to do a new install which is going to take me a very long time as I have a lot of plugins on this computer. This is crazy because the computer appears to work fine. I just cant do an image because it says the hard drive has errors ... Thanks

Reaction score
I'd be interested in what your hard drives SMART data says. You can download CrystalDiskInfo https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/65980/CrystalDiskInfo7_0_4.zip/ . It's simple to use and doesn't require installation. Just extract the zip file and open either DiskInfo32.exe or DiskInfo64.exe (if you have 64 bit windows). It will give a a pretty good idea of the health of your hard drive.

The problem with imaging a drive with possible bad sectors, is if those bad sectors are part of the Windows file system or some other important sector. It may be that you'll have to do a clean install unfortunatley. I feel your pain. I've had to do it because of a failing hdd. It's a pain. But run CrystalDiskInfo and see how bad the drive really is.

Reaction score
I'd be interested in what your hard drives SMART data says. You can download CrystalDiskInfo https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/65980/CrystalDiskInfo7_0_4.zip/ . It's simple to use and doesn't require installation. Just extract the zip file and open either DiskInfo32.exe or DiskInfo64.exe (if you have 64 bit windows). It will give a a pretty good idea of the health of your hard drive.

The problem with imaging a drive with possible bad sectors, is if those bad sectors are part of the Windows file system or some other important sector. It may be that you'll have to do a clean install unfortunatley. I feel your pain. I've had to do it because of a failing hdd. It's a pain. But run CrystalDiskInfo and see how bad the drive really is.

Hey thanks. Ill do it within the hour and let you know how it works out. I run a recording studio so I am REALLY trying NOT to do a fresh install right now. In the middle of a large project. I normally do a fresh install every year, but during the holidays when we are shut down. Last year it took me 2 days to get everything up and running. This time I am setting up a back up system. I already back up my sessions but have never backed up or imaged the entire system. Lesson learned.

Reaction score
Hey thanks. Ill do it within the hour and let you know how it works out. I run a recording studio so I am REALLY trying NOT to do a fresh install right now. In the middle of a large project. I normally do a fresh install every year, but during the holidays when we are shut down. Last year it took me 2 days to get everything up and running. This time I am setting up a back up system. I already back up my sessions but have never backed up or imaged the entire system. Lesson learned.

@BigFeet - ok, here is what I got ....

Attachments

• Test.jpg
    Test.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 595
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with the drive. The errors on the drive are probably in a critical area, hence the reason it won't clone or image. Macrium is free backup/imaging/cloning software. I don't have any experience with it though. I have a paid version of AOMEI Backupper which I've used to clone drives. Maybe someone else has some suggestions.

But I'd assume once you have a disk image or you clone the drive, you should be able to reformat the existing drive and use that for data storage of another PC. There doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong (unless of course it's making unusual noises).

Reaction score
Doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong with the drive. The errors on the drive are probably in a critical area, hence the reason it won't clone or image. Macrium is free backup/imaging/cloning software. I don't have any experience with it though. I have a paid version of AOMEI Backupper which I've used to clone drives. Maybe someone else has some suggestions.

But I'd assume once you have a disk image or you clone the drive, you should be able to reformat the existing drive and use that for data storage of another PC. There doesn't seem to be anything physically wrong (unless of course it's making unusual noises).

Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I use Acronis and have for years. I find it dependable.
They have a 30 day free trial offer, if you want to consider it.
http://www.acronis.com/en-us/homecomputing/thanks/acronis-true-image-2017/

When you configure your first disk image, make sure you use full partition view and check them all and then make sure to look through the various option screens.
When you get to the advanced options you should see one that says "error handling" you can use that to tell the backup to ignore bad sectors.
NOW....
Whether or not you would then be able to recover that full disk image onto a new hard drive and boot from it, would depend on the contents of the bad sectors that were ignored when the image was created.

Reaction score
I use Acronis and have for years. I find it dependable.
They have a 30 day free trial offer, if you want to consider it.
http://www.acronis.com/en-us/homecomputing/thanks/acronis-true-image-2017/

When you configure your first disk image, make sure you use full partition view and check them all and then make sure to look through the various option screens.
When you get to the advanced options you should see one that says "error handling" you can use that to tell the backup to ignore bad sectors.
NOW....
Whether or not you would then be able to recover that full disk image onto a new hard drive and boot from it, would depend on the contents of the bad sectors that were ignored when the image was created.

Ok, I'll try that. A couple of years back I tried doing a clone or maybe an image to a larger hard drive and when it was complete it was the same size as the original disk. I can't remember what I did. Is that common with these programs? I can't remember how I solved that problem. I'll down load the free version now and see what happens.

Reaction score
If you are cloning a drive it may not be good to leave both on the system at the same time. Probably depends on how the cloning/imaging is done but I have seen problems.

Reaction score
If you are cloning a drive it may not be good to leave both on the system at the same time. Probably depends on how the cloning/imaging is done but I have seen problems.

What do you mean leaving both on the system at the same time? I do plan to reformat the first disk and use it as a backup. When you say you have seen problems what do you mean. I am trying to rectify this so forgive me for so many questions.

Reaction score
What do you mean leaving both on the system at the same time?
I mean you aren't running that system with both drives available.

When you create an image, you normally replace the original drive in order to restore that image. The original drive is already gone. If you clone, both drives are available during the cloning process. If you continue to run the system with both drives connected the system might get confused.

Reaction score
After the cloning is done. Power off. Remove the data cable from the old disk which should be in SATA 0 and plug the cable into the new disk.This is just a case of moving cables at the disc end. You can leave the old disk powered but leave the data cable unplugged the other end of which will be already into SATA 2,3 or whatever from the cloning. Boot the machine and make sure it is all ok.

Then turn the machine off, connect the SATA data cable that you disconnected into the old disk, reboot and go to Disk management and remove all the partitions, form whatever new partitions you want and format them.

DONT FORGET to unplug the machine from the wall before moving any cables!!!

I believe this always works safely

Ask a Question