Cant Use External Hard Disk With Windows10

Reaction score
I have Lenovo Thinkpad E550. I have upgraded its operating system from Win 8.1 to Win 10.

My excitement was gone when I realised Windows 10 can't detect my external USB hard disks. I have tried multiple hard drives but windows can't detect any of the disc and on Win2012 (on same laptop) I can access my discs.

I have done some research and tried the following solution but none of them work:

1. Connected hard disc on different ports

2. In device manager tried automatically upgrade driver

3. Again in device manager removed disks scan again for hardware changes restart system

4. Run troubleshooting, in trouble shooting it detect the issue and show notification that some installation has been done and after restart it will be fine but nothing happens after restart.

5. Under Disk Managment I dont see my external hard discs

Under Device manager my external HD is shown as Portable under Other devices

Under Devices and Printers I can see my device as shown below:

I have spent a lot of time but still issue is there. Please help I need to access my data in external hard disks.

* I use my mobile and mouse with USB ports and they work fine.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
What is the make/model of external HDD? Have you tried looking on the external HDD website for a driver/software package and manually installing it?

Reaction score
What is the make/model of external HDD? Have you tried looking on the external HDD website for a driver/software package and manually installing it?

I have 3 different external HD but none of them is working. Manufactures's websites say no need of any driver, it should work fine automatically. Thanks

Reaction score
Additionally you may want to check with Lenovo's support site
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/pro...wnloads&linkTrack=Mast:SubNav:Support:Drivers and Software|Drivers and Software&beta=false
See what they may have that might address other issues with device manager.
Paying particular attention to any BIOS, Chipset, USB, etc., drivers that may help.

Thanks, I tried calling with Lenovo support but they couldn't fix it. Now they said they will need to book my machine. Luckily I still have warranty but really migrating to Windows 10 was a bad decision. thanks

Reaction score
my suggestion is try a different cable if you have it before you do anything to mess things up
if that dont work unistall usb driver and re install them and check to see if it has a drive letter in
Disk Management if it dose not have one assign one to it just make sure you dont make the external drive active only the internal drive shuold be actiive o and onother thing if you decied to unistall the usb controller driver understand that you mouse and keyboard might stop working a way around that is doing this things by installing teamvier and work from another pc hope some of this wil help please let us know thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Check network discovery. Is it on? I have a usb ext drive and discovery is off. This may or not be relevant.

Reaction score
Try booting with USB hard drive attached. I have a Win10 tablet upgraded from Win8.1 which sometimes won't recognize the USB HDD, even with a powered USB hub. It could work fine for weeks then for no reason fails to work.

Reaction score
If you have solved your problem, it would have been nice to report back - someone else may come across this thread. If not, read on...

I had the same problem, but solved it with the equivalent of the big thump we used to fix old telllys witl... I downloaded Windows 10 ISO and did a 'reset' of my system - at least I think that was the term - it amounts to a rebuild without losing any apps and data - and I told the reset procedure to get any updates before starting. I have no idea what actually did the trick, but my USB external drive was plugged in (unrecognized before reset) and was present and correct finally. Took no more than about half and hour IIRR. Good luck.

Ask a Question