Hard disk use?

Reaction score
A few minutes after I turn on my machine it becomes almost nonuseable for about 5 minutes.

This happens every day including Tuesday.

Going to Task Manager, after a long wait to open, it says my hard disk

Is running at 99% or 100%. I have 938 GB of free space on the drive.

In checking " Processes" in Task Manager I can not find anything taking up all that

Space. The largest "process" I found only used 27.1 MB, and only for an instant.

As I type this the Hard Disk use is at 7%, and my machine seems to be functioning

correctly.

When the usage returns to 7%-8% Intermittently the drive "spins up" and shuts down

But doesn’t use a large amount of disk space, 20%-40%.

Any thoughts as to why and which program is doing this OR might I have a defective HDD?

Thanks

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Frank,

Have you altered your Virtual memory settings at all? i.e. changed the page file?

If these settings are incorrect that can result in the symptoms you are describing?

You could check that by typing View advanced system settings in your search box and pressing Enter key.

In the window that opens click on the Settings button in the top Performance panel then select the Advanced tab and click on the Change button to display minimum and maximum values set.

Generally it is best to allow Windows to manage this rather than make your own settings.

Another thing that may be going on, is that Windows is downloading an update which may be stuck, or a third party application is trying to update itself. You may want to check that.

Reaction score
Checked advanced system settings and it has Windows "managing" them.

You state the following;
"Another thing that may be going on, is that Windows is downloading an update which may be stuck, or a third party application is trying to update itself. You may want to check that."

Is there some other way, other than "Task Manager> Processes" to see if a third party or even Windows is tryin to update?

Reaction score
I guess that is the only option we have. Turn off the automatic update or disable automatic update on metro.

Reaction score
At the exact moment you are having thsi problem, do the following:

Open task manager
Select the Performance Tab
Open Resource Monitor (bottom)
Select Disk Tab
Look at Processes with Disk Activity and Disk Activity
(sort each read column from highest to lowest by clciking "read"
Once done, post a screenshot like so:

Screenshot_18.png

Ask a Question