Cortana issues

XMM

Reaction score
I turned on my desktop today to find W10 had apparently performed an update since I last used it.
I found that Cortana had taken control of my desktop, placing a huge black bar at the bottom of my screen. This bar, contains a small graphic and the words "Try saying....". I can't find any way to remove this annoyance. I don't seem to be able to minimize it or remove it.
I rebooted my machine and the same bar came back on boot up. What can I do? I have no need (at this time) for Cortana. What can I do?
20200710_101834660 (1).jpg

Reaction score
Hi XMM,

press the Windows logo key and go to Settings > Ease of access > Speech and make sure all Cortana settings are at off then restart. A friend had the same problem two days ago and that solved it after running more updates!. :)

1594400780655.png

XMM

Reaction score
No luck, tried it several times. So annoying. I'm an engineer who needs full screen access for CAD programs. If I shrink the program so I can see the whole (typical) field of view, it's terribly hard to see the details without the magnifier. Thanks Microsoft

Reaction score
XMM Have you attempted to revert to a recent backup or restore point.

XMM

Reaction score
Norton, I'm embarrassed to say, I have no recent restore point to work from. I save my files on a server, but no backup for Windows 10.
I remember (faintly) there being a way in Win 7, to go back to a point in time prior to the update. I don't see such an option in W10.
All want to do (need to do) is shrink this bar down to the size of a task bar. I could live with that.

Reaction score
Hi XMM,

have you tried disabling Cortana assuming you don't need it?. :cool:

Reaction score
How to disable Cortana on Windows 10 Home
The process is slightly trickier and involves editing the Windows Registry. If you’re not comfortable with this process, we suggest taking a backup.

1. Hit the Start Key, search for regedit, and open it.
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows.
  3. Right-click the Windows directory, and choose New > Key. Type in Windows Search, and hit enter.
  4. Select Windows Search. In the right-hand side pane, right-click in the empty area and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Type in AllowCortana, and hit enter.
  5. Double-click AllowCortana, and type in 0 under Value Data.

Ask a Question