SOLVED Cortana not working

Reaction score
Hi, Have just purchased an HP all-in-one desktop that has Windows 10 installed on it. My problem is that the microphone screen on the top of the screen keeps saying "Try saying start listening" even though the blue sound bars to the left of the screen show the volume going up and down as you speak.
Any help with this would be appreciated, as I am sure this has been asked before.
Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum
Right click the speaker icon on the taskbar, far right near the clock and choose "Recording devices".
Make sure that the correct microphone is chosen and set as "default"

Reaction score
Ok have done that but still says "What was that" so spoke again with the same response. There is only one microphone listed and that is built in and set to Default.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Depending on the software / driver package that supports your sound card, you may have some options to adjust the volume and possibly even apply a Mic Boost.
Go back to where you were and after selecting / highlighting your microphone, click the properties button and have a look through the tabs and see what is offered

Reaction score
Yes there was a microphone boost. Boosted it up to 30db and now appears to be working fine. Thank you for your help, I have very much appreciated it,

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to resolve your problem.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question