Cortana & Start search field not accepting keyboard input

Reaction score
For some time now - I don't recall exactly when I first noticed it - I have been unable to enter any text into Cortana search, the search field in Start, or the search field in Windows Explorer.
I have checked that "SearchApp.exe" is usually in a suspended state, but becomes "Running" when any of those searches are initiated, but in all cases it isn't possible to see any text being typed into the search fields, and soon after SearchApp returns to the "suspended" state.
I have run troubleshooting for 'Search' problems, but no resolution is offered.
I have Cortana enabled at start-up, and the task bar icon responds, but text cannot be typed in.
Please help - this is seriously affecting my productivity, not to mention driving me up the wall!

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, V 20H2, OS build 19042.964.

Reaction score
For some time now - I don't recall exactly when I first noticed it - I have been unable to enter any text into Cortana search, the search field in Start, or the search field in Windows Explorer.

I have checked that "SearchApp.exe" is usually in a suspended state as expected, and becomes "Running" when any of those searches are initiated, but in all cases it isn't possible to see any text being typed into the search fields, and soon after SearchApp.exe returns to the "suspended" stat, awaiting input.

I have run troubleshooting for 'Search' problems, but no effective solution is offered.

I have Cortana enabled at start-up, and the task bar icon responds, but text cannot be typed in.

Please help me to solve this problem - this is seriously affecting my productivity, not to mention driving me up the wall!

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, V 20H2, OS build 19042.964.

Ask a Question