Cortana

Reaction score
I loved the microphone in the bottom of the screen and when I clicked on it, Cortana would assist me with my needs. The other day I logged on and in the Cortana "box" was asked if I wanted updates for traffic weather and so on, so I clicked "yes". Now, I can't seem to get anywhere when I click on the microphone, and I can't delete the update feature that shows in the cortana box. frusterating

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi John,

Have you tried using a restore point.

When Microsoft sends updates, it normally creates a restore point before installing the updates.

Thus you ought to be able to use the restore point dated the day you chose to update Cortana, and presuming that restores with no issues, the update will no longer be present.
  • Press Winkey + X or with Mouse right-click Start
  • Press Y or with Mouse left-click System
  • In the left pane click on System Protection
  • This will open the System Properties window, to the System Protection tab.
    Near the top of this tab click the System Restore... button
  • The next window to open will by default have the Undo system restore radio button checked
    If the date for that is the same as when you downloaded that Cortana Update then click Next
    If the date is more recent (i.e. a time after you updated Cortana, check the Choose a different restore point, then click Next, then in the window that opens select the correct dated restore point and click Next
  • From there just follow the prompts, which at some point will require you to choose to restart the computer.
    This process will take a few minutes to complete (this is quite normal).
If you want to learn more about System Restore, Ian the Forum's Administrator wrote this article about it: https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/system-restore-in-windows-10.36/

Alternatively you can uninstall an update, then hide the update so it will not download again (until you choose to un-hide it. For more information about this read Microsoft's article here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:

Ask a Question