Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thought I would just provide a spot where members and guests might want to comment on the ongoing planet wide pandemic we're all having to deal with.

While realizing this is a"technical" forum and not particularly well suited to serve a role in this particular area
AND
At the same time also realizing that "technology" is going to play a major role (good and bad I guess) going forward. Whether it be through social media platforms or technologies such as Skype or others that allow us to still communicate with friends and loved ones while we struggle with social distancing and other efforts to keep each other safe, while still maintaining critical links to both stay informed as well as just checking in and saying hello.

I'll assume that for the most part, we're all going through the same things in varying degrees, with school and public library closings as well as restrictions on public gatherings impacting restaurants and pubs, so...

Any comments as to how you may be personally impacted and how you're coping??
AND
In the meantime, I'll extend my personal best wishes and my hope that you're all safe and well and that we all come out the other end of this thing stronger and more knowledgeable as to how to take lessons learned from this and apply them in all future instances, because....
While, I'm certainly no expert in such matters, I'm relatively certain that this is not going to be a one and done for anyone.

Please make an effort not to politicize.
I'm willing to stipulate that a lot of people who we have chosen to put in places of public trust were seemingly, woefully ill prepared to rise to this challenge.

Reaction score
Streets are all but deserted here, panic buying is my main concern right now as the idiots are hoarding and not giving any consideration to others, some stores have brought in measures so they can only have a max of 2 of the various items available (2 packets of conflakes, 2 cartons of milk etc), I think all food stores should use the same rule!.

Stay safe everyone. :):):):):):)

Reaction score
I think this is just a mass hysteria blown up by the media. Covid-19 is no fun, don't get me wrong but creating such a panic about it, that is just plain wrong.
Reminds me of the plague in the dark ages. This too shall pass and we will live again. I refuse to be a part of the hysteria though. I bought only the groceries I really needed and I never started hoarding. There is always a chance that any person can get it, myself not excluded. I will deal with it in due time and not a wee bit sooner. Although I take standard precautions (cleaning hands frequently, avoiding large crowds etc) but that is all I do.

Reaction score
Just read that Italy had its highest death toll since their lockdown, 475 in one day (yesterday), that is certainly food for thought!. :(

Another thing that certainly needs addressing is the fact that young people (teenagers) are holding "Corona Parties" not thinking of the possible consequences of what they are actually doing with reference to the fact that they could infect each other and their respective friends and families!. :(

Reaction score
Not such a good idea, as the media are overdoing, to report numbers of deaths. Percentages might work better. For example, in Denmark, there are 147 deaths reported. Not so bad, you might say. But this is one of the smallest populations in Europe.
Another point. There are very few statistics regarding the problems with persons who are dying.
!. More prevalent in countries with lesser medical facilities
2. The vast majority are older people. (69 upwards)
3. Older, or younger. the deaths are occurring very much to those with other breathing problems.

Here is an article, of many, on the subject

Reaction score
Reaction score
The media are NOT overhyping this, at least, not this time. Although not often fatal except to seniors and those with other pre-existing conditions one thing is certain - this thing is spreads like wildfire. Where I live we already have bans on any gatherings of 50 or more people (the police broke up a wedding near my town), there is an 8pm curfew unless going to/coming from work and non-essential businesses are shuttered. This sucks but this is the reality for the next 60 days until it dies down.

Try to make the best of the situation. Perfect time to indulge in long negelected hobbies. Try a new Linux distro. Take an old Windows PC, image it, upgrade to Windows 10 and see how it runs. Binge stream, online gaming marathon, ebooks, try a new recipe, etc. This is literally the perfect opportunity to do all the things you've been wanting to do but couldn't because you didn't have time.

Keep in mind that this is temporary. We have to wait it out but we will overcome what to most of us is an inconvenience.

Reaction score
Keep in mind that this is temporary
No one can really say how long it will last, I have heard reports that it could last a year!. That said, if it goes on too long, people will learn to adjust and governments will enforce harsh measures to prevent it spreading, they are now considering a full curfew where I live because too many people are still gathering in groups and possibly spreading the bug!.

"Perfect time to indulge in long neglected hobbies", yes!, spring clean or paint the house, there are so many things we neglect at home and I completely agree with you!. :) :) :) :)

Reaction score
For me, the largest problem is a person can be contagious prior to being symptomatic. This situation may be a contributing factor to the way the virus is being spread..

Also, I have heard some good things about Chloroquine, which is a Malaria drug and has already passed human trials.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's not the flu.
Not even close.
The mortality rate for severe seasonal flu is approximately 0.1 percent
This thing is currently somewhere between 1.4 and 2 percent.

Like you said "we'll see", because frankly with the embarrassing level of testing being done here in the U.S. we really know almost nothing about what we might be facing. The critical thing is that no one is immune and there is no cure / vaccine

Personally at 70 years of age (wife 73) we've pretty much been keeping to ourselves.
Who knew that my innate predisposition towards being anti-social was going to suddenly become so chic.

Reaction score
It's not the flu.
Not even close.
The mortality rate for severe seasonal flu is approximately 0.1 percent
This thing is currently somewhere between 1.4 and 2 percent.

Like you said "we'll see", because frankly with the embarrassing level of testing being done here in the U.S. we really know almost nothing about what we might be facing. The critical thing is that no one is immune and there is no cure / vaccine

Personally at 70 years of age (wife 73) we've pretty much been keeping to ourselves.
Who knew that my innate predisposition towards being anti-social was going to suddenly become so chic.
Me too 73 and surviving cancer 3 different times 2 lung cancer wife 71 with COPD

Reaction score
"Who knew that my innate predisposition towards being anti-social was going to suddenly become so chic. "

LOL. I ,made almost exactly the same remark in a private conversation a short while ago. But I preferred the term "Non-Social", small but subtle difference!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In any event, apparently we were both "social distancing" long before it became cool.
Quick story....
One of my grand children needed some cash to purchase a dress she was going to need for an up coming wedding she is planning to attend and of course I agreed to help.
She came over to pick up the money and came down stairs to the bat cave where I hang out and wanted to give me a hug for helping her.
I told her to check back with me in a couple months to see if we could resume hugging.
Tough times when you can't even hug your loved ones anymore.

Reaction score
Sad and true. I have outlived my closer friends. Any acquaintances are pretyy much the nod in the street and "Are you well"
Our family are very close, family wise, bit we are rather spread over the country. Downside, as you intimate, is that we are currently estranged. Thank goodness for SMS and Skype!

Reaction score
I have a friend who has cancer at the moment, he distanced himself long before Covid came along and he won't/wouldn't shake your hand, now he recently freaked out at me on the phone when I told him I have a cold telling me to test for the Covid virus which I refused to do, he got aggressive on the phone and I hung up on him. He phoned me a while later and had changed his tune completely, I assume his wife gave him a nagging but I don't know.

I kept/keep my distance from people when I have a cold so Covid isn't new to me so to speak (social distancing). My cold is almost gone now and I am more than certain it wasn't/isn't Covid as I don't have any of the Covid symptoms!. ;)

As @Trouble said "Tough times when you can't even hug your loved ones anymore."

Take care everyone and stay safe. :):):)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just got news that we are on almost a complete lockdown now (Bavaria, Germany) due to too many people gathering in large groups and/or sitting in Cafes/Bars and not keeping their distance from one another while throwing Frisbees and Basketballs. We are allowed to go to the shop (for food), gas stations (the garage to the Brits among you!) and banks are also open along with the doctors surgeries and pharmacies. :(:(:(

Problem here is that the rules vary from state to state and each minister for a particular state can order what they want!. :(:(:(

Fines of up to €25,000 will be imposed for breaking the rules!. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Anyway, stay safe everyone and despite the current situation, try and enjoy yourselves whenever and wherever you can. :):):):):):)

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Problem here is that the rules vary from state to state
Same here in the U.S. We have some basic national guidelines generated by the CDC but multiple states that have very large single city population areas are going above and beyond with stay at home for residents statewide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question