Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
There csn be a point of view here, which overides stats. As
I read it, the significant number who die, are old or have a serious illness. Meaning, for example, that if I, at the age of 86, contracted corona, and died, I think that could be assessed that I died of old age, brought on by complicstions from a severe illness. It is happening all the time in old age homes — not neccesarily corona, but any manner of internal problems.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I really don't know
I think that's pretty much the case for everyone.
There is such a lag between exposure / infection, to seeking medical attention, to requiring hospitalization, to requiring an ICU bed, to requiring a ventilator
THAT
We will almost certainly see death rates continuing to stay relatively high or even rising, even after new infections subside and associated hospitalization decline.

I hope if there is anything to be learned from this nightmare it is....
THAT we need to get back to manufacturing our own stuff domestically.
I understand and support this "global economy", but....
When something like this happens and supply chains are devastated by greed, mismanagement and what looks to be political whim it would be nice to have the ability to draw on your own industry for direct / emergency supply.

Stockpiles are nice until they're depleted and unable to restock.

Reaction score
When something like this happens and supply chains are devastated by greed, mismanagement and what looks to be political whim it would be nice to have the ability to draw on your own industry for direct / emergency supply.
You forgot to mention incompetence @Trouble, there has been a lot of that around too!.

Under funding of the health service in many countries doesn't help the situation either, when a nurse earns around 17,000 Pounds/Dollars a year (a rough estimate) and a professional sportsman earns 250,000 a week, there is something wrong with humanity!. Some sports professionals are refusing to take a pay cut during this crisis, that is pure greed to me!. :(

And what @davehc said about people dying of all manner of things, I believe that in some places now, there are so many deaths that the morgues don't have time for a full autopsy and the older people are simply written off as dying of old age even though they are dying in old folks homes due to the virus!. :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
" and the older people are simply written off as dying of old age even though they are dying in old folks homes due to the virus "

Probably not an "Official" Announcement, But there have been one or two quotes from hospital staff, in the UK, that priority is being given to younger people with more individual care, than to decrepit oldies (like me)
Truth is, I am not sure that I entirely blame them for that attitude, with the overcrowding and shortage of medical staff.

Reaction score
I heard today, a New York construction worker said his whole crew got sick back in November. Some went to the doctor and were told it was Flu like but not the Flu..

If accurate, this would mean the virus has been here longer than I even thought.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That would be a month before the first "confirmed case" documented in Wuhan.
Would certainly be interesting if he and "his crew" received antibody testing to confirm.
Might be a whole new "patient zero" blame game. We blame China they blame us, which....
Is pretty much what I suspect this might be.
With the right incentive $$$$$ you can get practically anyone to say practically anything.

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with blame, but with information. Knowing the truth about the time line of the virus is very important.

What was it, in January the World Health Organization stated the virus could not be transmitted human to human.. o_O

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sure

I think it's fair to point out that, everyone got this very, very wrong during the early days.
"We don't want the American public to be worried about this because their risk is low," says Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
Fauci compared the outbreak with severe acute respiratory syndrome, SARS, a coronavirus that killed more than 600 people across mainland China and Hong Kong along with more than 100 other people around the world in 2002-2003. Fauci said a vaccine was developed for SARS but was not needed.

"SARS essentially disappeared because of very good public health practices," he said. "The question of developing a vaccine is not a major issue."
It has nothing to do with blame
Perhaps you missed a certain politician's (who shall remain nameless) attempt to brand it as the "Chinese Virus" or the uptick in instances of violence against people of Asian heritage and their places of business.

Although it will doubtlessly prove extremely valuable in some final analysis in years to come, my most serious immediate concern is what is happening now in the form of both antigen and antibody testing that will help guide us going forward as we emerge from this shutdown and subsequently protect us from a resurgence or a much discussed second wave come late fall / winter.

Reaction score
Since you seem determined to make this political, it is the Chinese virus, just like wine from France is French wine.. If violence was done based on such a statement, perhaps you should put the blame on those who actually incited such violence.. your media..

Reaction score
It is not trouble, who has chosen to make it political. He is merely referring back to the state heads constant remarks and mud slinging.
Time I dropped out of this thread. methinks. Lets get back to trying to help people with their computer problems.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep... I guess I'll lock it before it goes south.
It actually survived longer than I thought it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question