Critical error message

Reaction score
Critical error
Start menu and Cortana are not working
we'll try to fix next time you sign in

I know this has been asked but I still can't work it out. I went to try a suggestion that a member posted and worked for the other member asking, but for me I can't do much because when I went into files and then boot screen, the screen is hidden behind the critical error message and I can't move any of the screens so I can get to the one underneath ;-( Any help would be appreciated but I don't know all the technical speech so please plain english for dummies!! haha

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you use the "Task View" button on your taskbar (the thing that looks like a white square with ears) and add a "virtual desktop" by hitting the + sign above the words New Desktop, will that allow you to work around the problem with the window that you want to use being covered by another window?
AND
You may want to investigate the possibility that your user profile might be corrupt.
Create a new user (administrators group member)
Give it a name
give it a password
log off as you and log on as the new user.
See if the same problem persists.

Reaction score
Got the same problem on an old HP Pavillion 33GHZ. I tried several solutions out on the net. But it wouldn't let me activate a "net user administrator".
So I used "Prompt as administrator". Despite the error message you can get that command line in several ways.
Click Waste bin Menu File on opening explorer menu
OR
Rightclick Desktop create new file click new file Menu File on opening Explorer Window

There I ran the command "sfc /scannow" That will take several minutes indicating a percentage value

I reran the same command but changed file to root with the prompt "cd c:/"

On restart I also used my Outlook login and not the new code and all worked fine. I want to thank the guy who put the scannow fix on the net but I don't remember his name Tx anyway and cheers

Ask a Question