Critical Error - Start menu and Cortana aren't working

Reaction score
This is a thread I posted on the Microsoft website forum. It relates to a Critical Error -Start Menu and Cortana not working error message. Many of you have this extremely unpleasant bug which basically renders many important functions unserviceable. I have posted on this site earlier on but I have been banned from the forum, with the reason given to me as Spam. Go figure! I believe one clueless user here, named BigFeet has reported me probably because he is trying to protect Microsoft from embarrassment, therefore violating freedom of expression. It will not matter how many times the Microsoft-friendly administrator bans me here, I will come back under a new username and republish my post until Microsoft fixes this terrible mistake:

SHAME ON YOU, MICROSOFT:
There are hundreds if not thousands of worldwide posts already on the internet complaining about that major issue, that is the Critical Error-Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in" (which of course doesn't work, what a joke!).
I have tried countless of so-called "solutions" found here and there on the net, including some suggested by your "brilliant" software engineers (who I suspect very well know the troubleshooting won't fix anything, which is quite insulting as far as I'm concerned), wasting hours and hours trying to figure out how to fix your mess, or even trying to revert back to Windows 7, all to no avail.
Man, I had a perfectly fine working Windows 7 before installing this piece of garbage. No wonder it's free!
MICROSOFT, you owe it to your customers to have your I.T. SWAT team work around the clock to come up with a fix ASAP via an update that automatically installs without having the end-user perform some complicated computational cyber-gymnastics to repair your useless catastrophic non-operating system.
You also owe it to your customers to keep us posted about development via press releases so we know what's going on and when exactly can we expect to get our computers back to normal. Anything less would show contempt and arrogance and will guarantee you a PR nightmare, you can be certain of that. Simply hiding behind some vague casual statements from a brain-washed spokesperson is not enough, such as this gem from last week:
"Microsoft has acknowledged the issue and Jen, who works for Microsoft, stated that they are looking into the matter and that a fix is on the way. We've fixed many of the underlying causes for this issue, but there are still some eluding us, and I'm sorry to hear that this is impacting you guys" (no kidding, Jen!)."We have telemetry and crash reports that we're watching for this."
Thanks for the update, Jen from Microsoft. So, Jen, any news since then?
Signed: An incredibly frustrated and angry customer

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is a thread I posted on the Microsoft website forum. It relates to a Critical Error -Start Menu and Cortana not working error message. Many of you have this extremely unpleasant bug which basically renders many important functions unserviceable. I have posted on this site earlier on but I have been banned from the forum, with the reason given to me as Spam. Go figure! I believe one clueless user here, named BigFeet has reported me probably because he is trying to protect Microsoft from embarrassment, therefore violating freedom of expression. It will not matter how many times the Microsoft-friendly administrator bans me here, I will come back under a new username and republish my post until Microsoft fixes this terrible mistake:

SHAME ON YOU, MICROSOFT:
There are hundreds if not thousands of worldwide posts already on the internet complaining about that major issue, that is the Critical Error-Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in" (which of course doesn't work, what a joke!).
I have tried countless of so-called "solutions" found here and there on the net, including some suggested by your "brilliant" software engineers (who I suspect very well know the troubleshooting won't fix anything, which is quite insulting as far as I'm concerned), wasting hours and hours trying to figure out how to fix your mess, or even trying to revert back to Windows 7, all to no avail.
Man, I had a perfectly fine working Windows 7 before installing this piece of garbage. No wonder it's free!
MICROSOFT, you owe it to your customers to have your I.T. SWAT team work around the clock to come up with a fix ASAP via an update that automatically installs without having the end-user perform some complicated computational cyber-gymnastics to repair your useless catastrophic non-operating system.
You also owe it to your customers to keep us posted about development via press releases so we know what's going on and when exactly can we expect to get our computers back to normal. Anything less would show contempt and arrogance and will guarantee you a PR nightmare, you can be certain of that. Simply hiding behind some vague casual statements from a brain-washed spokesperson is not enough, such as this gem from last week:
"Microsoft has acknowledged the issue and Jen, who works for Microsoft, stated that they are looking into the matter and that a fix is on the way. We've fixed many of the underlying causes for this issue, but there are still some eluding us, and I'm sorry to hear that this is impacting you guys" (no kidding, Jen!)."We have telemetry and crash reports that we're watching for this."
Thanks for the update, Jen from Microsoft. So, Jen, any news since then?
Signed: An incredibly frustrated and angry customer

Hi I just read your post from August
I have the same problem installed windows 10 and now my computer is dormant! Did you manage to fix this problem? If so can you help me to do the same. Thanks Maggie

Ask a Question