SOLVED windows 10 home screen flashing after restart from critical error

Reaction score
Toshiba laptop now with win 10 download on it. have had critical error twice but resolved both times. switched laptop on today and critical error came on screen, used powersuite to resolve it and when it came up to the end of its run, a box came up for a restart so I did. upon starting up the only thing on screen now is what appears to be vertical line flashing up at quite a high speed.this problem is something new for me, so if anybody has any idea how to resolve I would be most gratefull.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
used powersuite to resolve it and when it came up to the end of its run, a box came up for a restart so I did. upon starting up the only thing on screen now is what appears to be vertical line flashing up at quite a high speed.
Personally, I've never had much luck or faith in these so-called universal repair utilities. I see Uniblue is saying that their latest version is compatible with Windows 10.
Does the software provide you with any bootable media where you can go in and undo the changes made by the product's most recent run?

Reaction score
Personally, I've never had much luck or faith in these so-called universal repair utilities. I see Uniblue is saying that their latest version is compatible with Windows 10.
Does the software provide you with any bootable media where you can go in and undo the changes made by the product's most recent run?
I've used this program for quite a long time and really haven't had much trouble with it.It does speed up the laptop aliitle bit.Back to my problem,removed hard drive to see if screen would say hard drive not detected , but it didn't do that. So I removed the ram and when switched on the screen was black. tried a different ram module but it didn't make any difference to the screen. It was still white with something moving in the background, but you could not make out what it is.I've hit every known button to no avail, so up to now I don't know what the problem is unless the hard drive is corrupted.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
switched on the screen was black.
It was still white
Laptops usually have a FN key down near the bottom left of the keyboard, that key combined with the top row of keys can be used to brighten or dim the screen as well as switching the screen from the integrated display to an external monitor or both.
so up to now I don't know what the problem is unless the hard drive is corrupted.
That's of course possible and we've seen a few instances of this recently after the upgrade, but it wouldn't be my first guess.

When you are at the blank screen (whatever color it is), if you use Ctrl + Alt + Delete key combination does it produce any options, like launch Task Manager?

Reaction score
Laptops usually have a FN key down near the bottom left of the keyboard, that key combined with the top row of keys can be used to brighten or dim the screen as well as switching the screen from the integrated display to an external monitor or both.

That's of course possible and we've seen a few instances of this recently after the upgrade, but it wouldn't be my first guess.

When you are at the blank screen (whatever color it is), if you use Ctrl + Alt + Delete key combination does it produce any options, like launch Task Manager?
it doesn't show anything on the screen . all it is a white screen which can be dulled or made brighter using f2 button, there is something happening behind the white screen but can't make it out. also mouse pointer can't be seen either.it's looking like it's a fault somewhere but not sure.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try booting from the installation media and if that produces a normal screen (one that you can see and navigate) then.......
When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options. From there attempt to use the System Restore option to go back to a point in time prior to your most recent problem.

The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

Reaction score
Try booting from the installation media and if that produces a normal screen (one that you can see and navigate) then.......
When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options. From there attempt to use the System Restore option to go back to a point in time prior to your most recent problem.

The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
thank you very much for the information, this has been done successfully.

Reaction score

tried all known combination of buttons but to no avail.

Ask a Question