Critical Error Start Menu and Cortana aren't working ...

Reaction score
After running Windows 10 for 6 weeks on my Dell Optiplex 790 desktop I got this critical error message. Tried several suggested fixes including unstalling a new application that proved to be imcompatible (Sling). The fix that worked for me was to do a safe boot with networking on, allow the computer to finish "working its magic" and then reboot. Then go back into normal boot mode and start again. This cleared up the problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Thanks very much for sharing your solution to that problem.
The same solution has worked for several people, both here and across multiple other forums.
However, it does not seem to always be a permanent fix.
Please let us know if your problem returns.
Sometimes it takes days or even weeks to reappear

Reaction score
Here is my take and my solution. Maybe it will help someone else. I had the same problem with the "critical error" message and tried various fixes. After almost 2 months of bliss with my desktop after upgrading to Windows 10, I got the error. Then, a few days later, my new Asus laptop, which came with Windows 10 installed, had the same error. It may be coincidence - but it was right after a Windows 10 update around November 7th. I tried every fix possible. What finally worked was a refresh/reinstall of Windows 10 on both machines. I tried the prescribed fixes in safe mode and it didn't work for me. I use Avira Pro for my security suite and verified it was not the problem. My hypothesis is that Cortana is the problem. After the reinstalls, I DID NOT initiate Cortana and did not use the Edge browser. I ignored all prompts to initiate Cortana. I am using Internet Explorer with Bing as my default browser. I had to use option #4 to restart my desktop computer from the sign-in screen. I used the info in the article
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10. Hope this helps - just avoid Cortana. Maybe Microsoft will fix the issue in the near future.

Ask a Question