Cursor is stuck or respond slowly

kps

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with an unresponsive or slowly responsive cursor. Another problem that seems related to this is that windows are often slow to respond to attempts to move them about the display.

I'm up-to-date on Windows 10 updates, though this problem has been occurring for quite some time now.

Help!

Thanks

Reaction score
We need some more information about your computer. Laptop or desktop? Brand or home built and type of components?

kps

Reaction score
It's a Dell laptop: see attached. I have a Dell docking station from which an H-P w2207 22" display is connected. I'm using Chrome Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit).

What other info would be useful?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 335
Reaction score
Have a similar problem but only apparently when using Word Pad about once every five uses; mouse will move cursor and "Cut" works but keyboard controls are either unresponsive or ultra slow. I would have strarted my own thread on this but can't find any way to do so.

Reaction score
kps try plugging the docking station into another USB port to see if the issue goes away. If you have it plugged into a USB 3.0 port try a USB 2.0 port just as a test. Also check and make sure you have the current display drivers as well as chipset drivers for your computer. Win 10 is famous for deleting or installing drivers that do not work properly during updates. Also if none of the above helps can you just disconnect the docking station and use the laptop display? Just to see if the laptop still hesitates without the docking station.

Last edited:

kps

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll need to work on this next week...I'll let you know.

kps

Reaction score
The problem seems to be resolved. I checked device drivers and they appeared up-to-date.

I use a detached keyboard and a wireless mouse. I almost never use the touchpad: I tried it and discovered that cursor movement was fine.

Next step, I swapped USB ports for the detached keyboard and the mouse nano receiver. The OS rediscovered the devices and made them ready. Both devices worked as they should with no problem with cursor movement. Finally, I swapped the two USB devices back to their original USB ports. The OS didn't need to make them ready: they immediately worked properly.

Removing and reinserting the USB devices appeared to assign new drivers to the USB ports. Is that the simple answer as to what occurred here?

Ask a Question