Deceased user microsoft password

Reaction score
I recently received a Windows pc from a suddenly deceased individual and do not know their password linked to Microsoft.
Is there a way to obtain the password? It has the computer locked as he was the only user,

Reaction score
I'm not sure of the specific rules on here but generally people are reluctant to help with lost or missing passwords because (and I mean no disrespect to you here) there's no way for anyone to know whether it's been stolen.

Reaction score
I looked up on the internet on the Microsoft support pages (i assume you did that as well) but failed to find any solution for this specific case. Every solution they provided is only possible if you are the owner of the account and forgot about your credentials etc.

Reaction score
As ubuysa says. Your only option, without resorting to forbidden hacks, is to get some proof of the death and telephone to Microsoft.

Reaction score
Back up all data files if your trying to save them, this can be done by removing the HD/SSD and connecting it to another computer VIA USB. Once you have all the data recovered. Run diskpart on the HD/SSD and Clean it and exit. Get your copy of windows 10 and create a clean install.

Reaction score
As ubuysa says. Your only option, without resorting to forbidden hacks, is to get some proof of the death and telephone to Microsoft.
It can work but not sure if they can still provide access to someone's (even a deceased) persons hardware.

Reaction score
One suggestion give was to back up the data files. If you can do that logged in with Admin rights I've had success in creating a new User with Local Account with Admin rights, reboot and choose that new user and delete the old user. Unless there's something the Microsoft Account had that is needed there should be no issue with using the computer. Also, is it possible the initial setup used an E-Mail address for the MS Account and also the same password for it? Maybe that is available.

Reaction score
May I ask the thread originator - You say the computer is locked? Do you mean it will not boot past the bios, or it gets to the lock screen?

Ask a Question