Defender suddenly blocking an app

Reaction score
I suddenly am not able to open software than I have used for a long time (RootsMagic7), and I use it every day. I get a message saying Defender is blocking it. Had to End Task on Task Manager to get rid of it all. So I went to the Virus and Threat Protection and figured a way to get it to accept the .exe file. Finished my work and closed the app. But the next time today when I tried to open it, it happened again. So I repeated my steps. I also turned off the Virus and Theft Protection button. I don't know if it was ever on or off before. I also use ESET Endpoint Antivirus, and it says things are fine. So what is going on??

Reaction score
This morning, while I was online, the Windows Security shield in the task bar at the bottom was still red because I had turned off Defender yesterday -- THEN, while working, I noticed the shield had turned to a green check instead of the red. Upon investigating, apparently somehow my ESET antivirus was turned off and Defender was turned back on (and scanning). It says it will not notify me when it blocks anything (but I have not tried to open anything it might want to block, anyway) Yet, ESET is also still scanning for me. So what gives??

Ask a Question