Problem with Windows Defender

Reaction score
All the buttons on the "Virus & threat protection" settings page are forced on and can't be turned off. For example, if I try to temporarily turn off real-time protection, the button just bounces back to on. I know the settings can be changed through group policy, registry, etc. but I should just be able to use the buttons. They shouldn't be locked like that. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Reaction score
Try, in the settings - update, to see if there are any pending virus definitions. That can sometimes be the source.
Assuming you are the Administrator, scroll down a little and, temporarily, turn OFF the Tamper protection and try again.

Reaction score
Try, in the settings - update, to see if there are any pending virus definitions. That can sometimes be the source.
Assuming you are the Administrator, scroll down a little and, temporarily, turn OFF the Tamper protection and try again.

There are no pending virus definitions. I can't turn off tamper protection, all the buttons are locked.

Reaction score
Do you have another virus program resident - maybe Bitdefender?

Reaction score
Have you another Antivirus installed? Defender can't function if there is. One antivirus Avast, if it is also installed, can be extremely hard to uninstall completely.

Reaction score
Take a look at the following link to see if you can find something to help you:

Failing that, you can try Advanced Startup and troubleshoot your system there!

Let us know how you get on please. :)

Ask a Question