SOLVED Desktop Display Issue

Reaction score
I'm running the very latest W10 version, 2004, on a newly built Desktop PC, therefore I obviously have a separate Monitor. The easiest/simplest way to describe my issue is to describe that when I boot up, and arrive at my Desktop Home page, then right click with the cursor in the centre of the screen, a dialogue box appears with the command "Refresh" within it. Now, on this PC the colour within the dialogue box is white, and when I select "Refresh" the highlighting is also white, which is very user unfriendly. On my Laptop, also running version 2004, the same dialogue box colour is gray and the highlighting is again white, making it much more user friendly. This is only one example where I am facing this type of "colour" issue, and I have checked to ensure that my Personalization Settings are all at the default setting !! However, that doesn't solve my issue and I would appreciate it if someone can help me overcome this issue.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Are those feature updates, are they upgrades or a clean installs. From personal experience, there are subtle changes from upgrade vs clean install, to include missing tiles, color changes/settings and so on. Some times a clean install is required just to fix the upgrade path.

Reaction score
Well, I've only just completed building this Desktop PC (within the last ten days), from brand new parts. However, this issue has been there from first running Windows 10, which was just over a week ago. I've been trying to resolve it ever since by trying all types of different Personalization settings.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
So, is this a clean install with the new build......It should be. Or did you move a HDD/SSD with widnows 10 installed on it all ready into the new build? Which you should never do.

Reaction score
Also, what type of connection cables are you using, HDMI, VGA or Display Port and are they sitting okay?. Do you have the latest drivers for your GPU?. :)

Reaction score
So, is this a clean install with the new build......It should be. Or did you move a HDD/SSD with widnows 10 installed on it all ready into the new build? Which you should never do.
Yes definitely, a clean install of Windows 10 with a new licence, onto an SSD !!

Reaction score
Also, what type of connection cables are you using, HDMI, VGA or Display Port and are they sitting okay?. Do you have the latest drivers for your GPU?. :)
I'm using a VGA cable which is screwed in both ends, only because I got a new cable with my new Monitor, and would have to buy an HDMI cable otherwise. In my case I'm using a Ryzen 3400G which is a combined CPU/GPU, and I have the latest driver.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Yes, I am now running "Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.9.1", but don't really know this Software ?? I just understand that it has checked/Upgraded my Display Driver !! As far as using this Software, and its Settings, I am completely in the Dark and will need to learn. I don't need this PC for gaming, video editing, I just need it for basics e.g. Browsing, Email, Microsoft 365. But this Display quality is not even good for those basics. Still no improvement on what I reported earlier !!

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
. In my case I'm using a Ryzen 3400G which is a combined CPU/GPU, and I have the latest driver.
Go into your BIOS and make sure to disable the onboard GPU. Then make sure the the PCIe slot is set to enabled or auto.

Reaction score
Go into your BIOS and make sure to disable the onboard GPU. Then make sure the the PCIe slot is set to enabled or auto.
Sorry, I'm concerned about your suggestions. None of my PCIe slots are in use, so why should I enable any of them ?? The Ryzen 5, 3400G is an APU in AMD's terminology, which means it is a combined CPU/GPU. If I disable the GPU portion (if that is at all possible) then I will not get any input to my Display Monitor. What are we trying to achieve here with your suggestions, is there something I'm not understanding ??

Reaction score
Are you sure that the display setting is set to recommend and not something higher or lower?. :cool:

1605033933256.png

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm concerned about your suggestions. None of my PCIe slots are in use, so why should I enable any of them ?? The Ryzen 5, 3400G is an APU in AMD's terminology, which means it is a combined CPU/GPU. If I disable the GPU portion (if that is at all possible) then I will not get any input to my Display Monitor. What are we trying to achieve here with your suggestions, is there something I'm not understanding ??
Yes...I know what an APU is. That said I thought I read that you had an actual GPU installed. That is why I suggested to turn off the onboard GPU. Going back through I see that you don't mention one at all. Not sure I saw that you did.

I would also recommend getting an actual GPU and then get a DVI cable or HDMI cable to make you monitor connection. Most low end GPU's are better than the built in GPU's of the APU's.

Reaction score
It is possible that the monitor refresh rate is not set correctly?. Settings > Display > (Scroll down to bottom) Advanced display settings > Refresh rate. :)

1605112622521.png

Reaction score
Yes...I know what an APU is. That said I thought I read that you had an actual GPU installed. That is why I suggested to turn off the onboard GPU. Going back through I see that you don't mention one at all. Not sure I saw that you did.

I would also recommend getting an actual GPU and then get a DVI cable or HDMI cable to make you monitor connection. Most low end GPU's are better than the built in GPU's of the APU's.
Sorry for the delay in replying. I purposely do not want a separate GPU installed, for simplicity I like the APU solution. For my type of use, a GPU is another cost which is not needed. Additionally, it is extra Hardware which is another complication. I've built four of these Desktop PC's during lockdown, for friends and family, and this latest one is for me. The others do not have this problem, but significantly they do not use the same Display Monitor that I have just started using, which is an ASUS model VZ229. For this reason, I'm starting to look more carefully into the actual Monitor Settings, and I will get an HDMI cable !!

Reaction score
Did you reset the monitor to default as well?. (Access the menu on the monitor and look for the reset button!). :)

Ask a Question