SOLVED Desktop doesn't load after an update.

Reaction score
I've had windows 10 installed for months, and it has worked fine. But a few weeks ago I restarted my computer so it could update, but when I login nothing loads. The screen stays black, and if I move my mouse I can see the cursor. I can do ctrl+alt+del and launch programs from there, but it's kind of a pain. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Reaction score
Try a couple of things.
  1. When you CTRL-ALT delete, press the down arrow twice. You will be over the logout button. Press enter. Relogin and see if the screen comes up.
  2. If that doesn't work, press CTRL-ALT Delete and press the down arrow three times. You should be over Task Manager. Press enter and see if it comes up. If you can see it, try terminating the Window Explorer task first. Windows will reset the session and may come up.
  3. If not. go back to Task Manager, go to User Accounts. Right-click on the name and choose 'manage user accounts'. Click on manage another account. Then create a new admin user. Logout and login as the new admin. If the new admin works, follow the procedures in this video. It fixes most problems by rebuilding your login.

Let me know if any of this works, especially creating a new user.

Reaction score
Try a couple of things.
  1. When you CTRL-ALT delete, press the down arrow twice. You will be over the logout button. Press enter. Relogin and see if the screen comes up.
  2. If that doesn't work, press CTRL-ALT Delete and press the down arrow three times. You should be over Task Manager. Press enter and see if it comes up. If you can see it, try terminating the Window Explorer task first. Windows will reset the session and may come up.
  3. If not. go back to Task Manager, go to User Accounts. Right-click on the name and choose 'manage user accounts'. Click on manage another account. Then create a new admin user. Logout and login as the new admin. If the new admin works, follow the procedures in this video. It fixes most problems by rebuilding your login.

Let me know if any of this works, especially creating a new user.
When I try the third option, and go to create another admin account I get an error message that says "class not registered" and explore.exe as its name.

Reaction score
Ok, go to task manager yet again. Click on File then Run New Task. Type CMD and make sure you check the box to run Command Prompt in Administrator mode. In the Command Prompt windows type 'sfc /scannow'.

It will take some time to run. If it finds errors, run it again until it comes back clean. Then reboot. If the system doesn't startup go back to the steps to create a new user and see if they work.

Reaction score
Ok, go to task manager yet again. Click on File then Run New Task. Type CMD and make sure you check the box to run Command Prompt in Administrator mode. In the Command Prompt windows type 'sfc /scannow'.

It will take some time to run. If it finds errors, run it again until it comes back clean. Then reboot. If the system doesn't startup go back to the steps to create a new user and see if they work.

I solved it by downloading win10 via media creation tool, and then reinstalling windows.

Ask a Question