Desktop icons too high

Reaction score
Upgraded my W7hp setup to W10h. They did a remarkable job transferring everything over, but there's still one small annoyance:

The desktop icons are sitting a little too high, compared to how they sit in W7. I tried various alternatives from the stock HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics IconVerticalSpacing -1125, but nothing changed. Am I in the wrong place, doing this wrong, or what?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What does "sitting too high" mean?
Are the off the top of the desktop screen?
Typically you should be able to place your desktop icons wherever you want them to appear as long as you don't have auto-arrange or align to grid selected.
As far as editing the registry..... often a registry edit requires a reboot in order to take effect.

Reaction score
First, this issue is extremely trivial: the bottom row of icons sit higher up from the taskbar than they do in Win7 and futz with my meticulously arranged desktop... trivial enough? And I am arranging them to the grid, by the way.

Second, I was just signing out and in, then expecting changes. Your tip of rebooting made it all happen and thanks. I was mislead by instructions at Desktop Icon Spacing - Change in Windows 10. Still not 'perfect,' but close enough for this trivial issue.

Last edited:

Ask a Question