SOLVED Disable Edge News Feed Functionality, How To

Reaction score
Hi Forum: How do I disable all news feed functionality from the Edge browser? I'm not looking to utilize the "customize" option (which, interestingly, from what I can tell, doesn't allow users to disable this function) in the Edge browser. All I want to see when I open the Edge browser is a clean screen with a search box. Thanks for any feedback.

Reaction score
in 'Edge' settings, I selected 'Open new tabs with' : A blank page,

this has a 'Customise' link (bottom right),

Show :
Top sites & newsfeeds (all the newsfeedsshown)
Top sites (just Top sites, no newsfeeds)
A Blank Page (just a 'search or enter web address' bar)

Reaction score
Thanks BretWin - You put me on the right path. I should have clarified that I would like a blank page when I initially launch Edge. I'm used to on/off functionality. However, this two step process solved my dilemma: (1) Settings - Open With - New Tab Page (2) Settings - Open New Tabs With - A Blank Page

Reaction score
(MS Win 10 Home, 64 bit, Version 1709, Build 16299.19 user)

Hello,
I've read the whole thread. This solution by itself didn't help me and saw that many other forum members are giving up on Edge because didn't get the desired result either. My guess is it is a small glitch in the software.
But didn't give up because I like Edge. So tried to do something that worked for me with Firefox, and surprise-surprise nagging news feed indeed stopped in Edge, too, even when I hit the Home button.

Here is, how I did it step-by-step.
1. Click on the three dots in the upper right corner of Edge.
2. Click on Settings at the bottom of the popup menu.
3. Click on the arrow in the box under Open Microsoft Edge with
4. Select A specific page or pages
5. Write into the box saying Enter a URL: about: blank, and press Enter
6. Go down to the Open new tabs box, and in the menu coming up by pressing the arrow select A blank page.

After that I closed my Edge, and when reopened it - funny enough - besides an indeed blank page I found that its settings were:
- In the Open Microsoft Edge with box: New tab page (although I didn't click on that setting), and
- In the Open new tabs box: A blank page.

For the Home button to also produce a blank page when pressed:
- Click on the three dots in Edge and on Settings
- Find and click on the View advanced settings towards the bottom of the popup menu
- At the top of the new popup menu set the Show the home button to On and
- Pressing the arrow in the box below, find and click on the New tab page in the popup menu.

Close and reopen Edge, and now all tabs are permanently set to your liking i.e. blank, no automatic feed or sites appear. But you can still choose feeds/sites, also to your liking, the choice of which is still offered, but only offered, in the blank tabs, and in the menu under the three dots.

Being a somewhat adamant stupid user, my impression is that Edge is quite intelligent. I only need to try harder to find the mostly preset commands or, in the lack of that, where offered bravely write in my own, to tell it more specifically about my wishes.
:)

Ask a Question