Disgusted With Windows 10 and Microsoft

Reaction score
Since 10/17/2015 Windows 10 has given me a Critical Error Message about the Start Menu not working, which effectively locks me out of using Windows 10. Today I initiated a chat with a Microsoft tech who then took control of my computer and worked on a fix for most of the afternoon. As per his instructions I restarted and found that the fix did not work. He also gave me a Service Request Case
Number, in the event that the fix did not work, with the suggestion that I open a new chat tomorrow to find a solution, for which, of course, I would be charged.

Is Microsoft not a great company, charging its customers to fix problems caused by its own flawed Operating System?

Reaction score
with the suggestion that I open a new chat tomorrow to find a solution, for which, of course, I would be charged.
I find this wrong, it is their mistake and they shouldn't charge to fix their crap.

This very problem is why I was holding off so long to upgrade to Windows 10. I have the opinion that MS doesn't want to release a product without problems, so they can charge services in a phone conversation. They should be fixing their crap with these phone conversations not charging the caller.

Reaction score
Since 10/17/2015 Windows 10 has given me a Critical Error Message about the Start Menu not working, which effectively locks me out of using Windows 10. Today I initiated a chat with a Microsoft tech who then took control of my computer and worked on a fix for most of the afternoon. As per his instructions I restarted and found that the fix did not work. He also gave me a Service Request Case
Number, in the event that the fix did not work, with the suggestion that I open a new chat tomorrow to find a solution, for which, of course, I would be charged.

Is Microsoft not a great company, charging its customers to fix problems caused by its own flawed Operating System?
I know exactly what you are going through! I want to go back to windows 7 where I was very comfortable running my communications programs which ran fine in 7 but suck in 10! Anyway, 10 wiped out my windows 7 version right away as soon as 10 was installed and now I don't know how to uninstall 10 to put 7 back in. Called tech support and of course they want to charge me so I can send some kid in India to school! Sorry that was un-professional, I'm just ticked. I'm ready to buy apple!

Bif

Reaction score
Touch wood I've had no issues with 10 aside from WMP not playing Mp4's any longer and the upgrade removing the very functional DVD Maker,I've also tried contacting them regarding these issues but they never threaten to charge me a penny...it could be that I specifically told the rep that "I'm not paying a cent for any help whatsoever considering it's a MS issue"..
I shake my head at MS customer service and their customer relations strategy...their reps are useless,their "forum community" is useless and criticism of the products on there is often deleted like magic.It seems like their mandate over the years is to piss as many users off as possible and assume NO responsibility in the process.I'm sorry that I have no words of encouragement for you and your 10 experience...my upgrade despite reading many horror stories about jumping from 7 on my laptop to 10 went scarily smooth..again...touch wood.

Reaction score
WMP not playing Mp4's any longer
I would suggest VLC player. It plays just about any file formats. You won't have the same codec restrictions as in WMP.

upgrade removing the very functional DVD Maker
Yes. Most users miss that program.

MS customer service
Most of them know less than you and I. And then they want to charge you for service rendered. They get commission for that ? I wonder.

their "forum community" is useless and criticism of the products on there is often deleted like magic.
You would be lucky if they did not threaten you with banning. The so-called community moderators appear to be competing to get most replies marked as Answers. One even shamelessly repeat what other guys had said with slight variation . So both got marked as Answers. Some would mark one another replies as Answers.They probably have a "quota" to meet. To scratch my back, I ........

Last edited:

Bif

Reaction score
I'm using PotPlayer right now over VLC...seems to be a nicer interface,and still haven't found a decent free alternative to DVD Maker yet (please let me know if you hear of one!)it defies logic why they would take this program away.
Agreed on all other counts..

Reaction score
You won't get recommendation from me because last time I used Windows DVD Maker was 2 years ago when I needed to make a DVD for class reunion.

Google is your friend.

Ask a Question