Disk usage at 100%

Reaction score
I have an Alienware Alpha computer (it's like a pre-steambox). Any way it has a hdd not an ssd. I was noticing that the pointer on the screen would stop moving even though my finger was still moving on the touch pad on my wireless keyboard. In other words it was lagging, as if the system was too busy. So I checked task manager and found that the disk usage was pegged at 100%. I did some searching on the internet and found that people were having success after disabling super and pre fetch. These seemed only to have a temporary effect for my computer. What I ended up doing was using a utility that came with m box called "respawn". I thought that I would use it to do a complete factory reset, however I ended up using a repair option that was available. The problem was fixed and I used the computer for about a week with no issues. Then it was left turned on and unused for a few days. Today I tried using it and found the problem had returned. Also I found out that disabling superfetch makes readyboost not work. I use a usb drive as extra memory and that won't work with superfetch turned off. All that said, as I began to write this post I checked back with task manager only to find that the problem had disappeared. Disk usage is back to normal. Whatever...

Reaction score
To simplify the problem the easiest route at this time would be to open Task Manager, it will show you what is hogging all of your resources. It seems to me that you have either updates, malware or antivirus programs running in the background on a scheduled scan. You can easily check the scheduled scans and set them for a time when the PC is not in use. If that doesn't resolve your problem see Ian's latest article on Advanced Startup Options. I would create a Restore point and a system Image before going to the Advanced Startup Options

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/advanced-startup-options.38/

Reaction score
2 or 3 thoughts I have. You could have malware (Malwarebytes it's free) or a virus (Windows Defender).
Another thing your finger pad may be going south.

Ask a Question