Dual booting Windows 7/10, USB no longer works in 7

Reaction score
As the topic says, my USB (ALL usb) no longer works in Windows 7. It works in BIOS and in Win10, and while loading 7.
Here's how it goes:
Turn on -> BIOS -> Choose to boot Win 7/10 -> Restarts(?) -> BIOS -> Starts loading Win 7 -> USB STOPS WORKING -> Finishes loading Win 7
It seems all the power stops going to my USB devices since all the lights on all devices stop at the same time (Mouse and 360 controller mainly), USB flash drives stop, no un/plug notifications for USB.
Formatted the Win 10 partition and installed 8 onto the partition to see if it would fix it, and it did not, so I went back to 10. (Windows 8 has worked perfectly fine on this computer in the past).

Reaction score
Use easybcd, from neowin, and setup a correct dual boot. It may be sorted when the rtm comes along, but I have found it necessary to use this method through the last few builds. As you say, it still sees the original (bios) dual boot option but then Windows 10 takes over and loses it. Not too bad a scenario for HDs but ruinous for USN boot situations.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/easybcd.html

Reaction score
Use easybcd, from neowin, and setup a correct dual boot. It may be sorted when the rtm comes along, but I have found it necessary to use this method through the last few builds. As you say, it still sees the original (bios) dual boot option but then Windows 10 takes over and loses it. Not too bad a scenario for HDs but ruinous for USN boot situations.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/easybcd.html
Thanks for your reply.
I'm a bit knowledgeable about computers (designated family tech support), and have a passing familiarity with EasyBCD, but I haven't been able to use it to fix my problem.
First I made a new entry for Windows 7 and used it to boot, no change. Then I went into BCD Backup/Repair -> Re-create/repair boot files, and no change either.
Unfortunately that is the extent of my experience with EasyBCD, mostly due to the fact that has thankfully solved all my issues requiring messing with boot on Vista/7/8 until this point.

Reaction score
Sorry to bump this, but I'm still having the issue.
I've tried setting Legacy USB to Enabled/Disabled in BIOS, and disabling the GUI Boot (bcdedit /set bootmenupolicy Legacy), but it didn't help.

Ask a Question