Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot Menu

Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot Menu

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

Enable F8 Safe Mode Boot Menu - How to enable the F8 boot options menu in Windows 10

Windows 10 offers fantastic boot times compared to some earlier operating systems, but part of the reason for this faster boot is due to removing the window of opportunity to access the F8 boot menu. This boot options menu allows you to enter safe mode or access other recovery tools that would otherwise only be available after booting in to Windows or using recovery media (i.e the install disc).

If you think that you may need to enter safe mode when Windows is no longer able to boot, you can...

Read more about this article...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well done and thank you for taking the time.

Reaction score
To Mr. Ian, thanks so much for excellent tip. Have written both commands down and kept in a safe place. Had searched with no luck on how to start the Windows 10 in repair/safe mode if the machine itself won't turn on. All the other advices assume the machine is already working! Your instruction just exactly what was needed. The sacrifice a few seconds (I noticed no diff at all) at startup is trivial compared to the benefit. Rgds and best. Frank F.

Reaction score
The article for the elevated command prompt is obsolete. If you try the right click on the Start Menu, what it now offers is "Windows PowerShell (Admin)"; and, in that shell, the command does not work. I started cmd.exe with admin privileges, and the command does still work there.

Reaction score
This article is just plain wrong and should be removed!

Though I got it to take the command, when I next rebooted, it did not work.

However, the following command does work:

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes

So the forum does have the issue covered, and this article should be deleted.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion, but....
I think we'll leave things as they are and maybe you could troll elsewhere.

Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion, but....
I think we'll leave things as they are and maybe you could troll elsewhere.
I am sorry that you think I am trolling, but I most certainly am not. The command offered in this articles does not work for me on a newly updated to Windows 10 machine. (It had worked when the machine was running Windows 8.1 but stopped after the update, so I tried again.) The different bcdedit command from the other forum article does work as advertised; so there is no need for this article which will only lead folks astray and waste their time.

Ask a Question