SOLVED Error 0x80072af9, Missing H Key For Word Perfect, And Unable To Send Anything To Favorites

Reaction score
Hi,hope you can help.. Started off with problems with my email, Was told it was probably a sync problem. Then after the last update Word Perfect appeared on my desktop.I was happy to have it but it wont work..Tried to save a page for a project but everything seems to be working but nothing is saved.

Try BelManage, the Enterprise version of the Belarc Advisor
Operating System
Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 1607 (build 14393.187)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (Canada)
Installed: 8/27/2016 1:08:28 AM
Servicing Branch: Current Branch (CB)
Boot Mode: Legacy BIOS in UEFI (Secure Boot not supported)
System Model
TOSHIBA Satellite L745 PSK0YU-02N027
System Serial Number: 7B435143W
Processor a
2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-2410M
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
3072 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total)
Main Circuit Board b
Board: Intel Corp. Base Board Product Name Base Board Version
Bus Clock: 1333 megahertz
UEFI: INSYDE 2.60 06/26/2012
Drives
623.35 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
554.29 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633F [Optical drive]

TOSHIBA MK6475GSX [Hard drive] (640.13 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 61SHB0L9B, rev GT001M, SMART Status: Healthy
Memory Modules c,d
6092 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM0' has 4096 MB (serial number 9732DE7F)
Slot 'ChannelA-DIMM1' is Empty
Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM0' has 2048 MB (serial number 001CCCC6)
Slot 'ChannelB-DIMM1' is Empty

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Graderman,

Welcome to the Forum.

The error message re missing hkey; do you have any more details on that specific error? For example is it saying something like, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\" Value: "ConfigDir" not found in the Registry?

You mentioned WordPerfect just appeared on Desktop after upgrading? Did you choose to install this application?

If not, one of the recent updates for some users appears to have dug up some older software once installed on OEM Machines - generally programs that came pre-installed on an older operating system. If that is the case, this may explain the missing HKEY given you may have uninstalled this application some time ago.

If you could confirm that would help to assist you accurately.

If you right-click on Start, then left-click on Event viewer when it opens on the left pane expand the Windows logs and take a look at both the Application and System logs. If you left click on these logs they open in the middle pane. See if you can spot an error pointing to this missing HKEY. If you see one double-click it and see what other details it gives on the error.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Graderman,

Welcome to the Forum.

The error message re missing hkey; do you have any more details on that specific error? For example is it saying something like, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\" Value: "ConfigDir" not found in the Registry?

You mentioned WordPerfect just appeared on Desktop after upgrading? Did you choose to install this application?

If not, one of the recent updates for some users appears to have dug up some older software once installed on OEM Machines - generally programs that came pre-installed on an older operating system. If that is the case, this may explain the missing HKEY given you may have uninstalled this application some time ago.

If you could confirm that would help to assist you accurately.

If you right-click on Start, then left-click on Event viewer when it opens on the left pane expand the Windows logs and take a look at both the Application and System logs. If you left click on these logs they open in the middle pane. See if you can spot an error pointing to this missing HKEY. If you see one double-click it and see what other details it gives on the error.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit 32.Thanks for answering. The program showed up after the last upgrade. I did not request it but I assumed that it was part of the upgrade. It is Word Perfect X7
.It worked when I first got it, but I may have screwed it up trying to get my email working or trying to sync one drive. I downloaded a program called Tweaking or Tweaker that was recommended by a friend, but I think it was too advanced for me so I deleated it. I suspect I may have caused the damage. I checked the event viewer all events show 0 except for Windows Powershell that shows 89 events but there was no indication of error. You are exactly right regarding the error message. It is H Key\Local\Machine\software\corel\word perfect\suite 17\"value"config dir" not found in registery. Please let me know if there is any thing else I can provide.and thanks again for the help.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Graderman,

Microsoft's WordPerfect definitely did not come with the latest Cumulative update, so I think like many other users your updating has discovered some older software that either (a) was, or (b) once was, installed on your computer. It may even have been a trial version of the software.

Anyway, you say it was working, so I guess now we need to see if we can try to get it working again.

If you have any restore points that date to a date and time before you tried a third party tweak tool, but after the time WordPerfect appeared on your Desktop, you could use that point to try to get things going again. To do that you would:
  • Press your Windows key and R key together to open the Run dialog
  • In the Run dialog type rstrui then click OK
  • A window will open, click Next
  • In the next window if you have any restore points they will be listed with a date and time. If one exists and is after the date/time WordPerfect appeared, but before date/time you used the tweaker tool, you could select this then click Next which ought to fix things.

If no such restore point exists then we'll need to see whether we can modify the Registry to repair/replace the missing HKEY.

To be able to point you to the correct modifcation I need you to do something first and post the results back to me:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the User Account Control pops up click Yes
  • You'll now see the Administrator: Command Prompt appear. In this window type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Corel\WordPerfect Suite\17"

Press Enter key to execute above command.

Let me know what results appear here.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi..The system is unable to find the specified key or value. I will check for the restore point now.

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK, you may need to physically search inside the Registry Editor for the key as I was guessing its actual path name as I do not own Corel WordPerfect.
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Run
  • In the run dialog type regedit then click OK
  • Click YES to the User Account Control
  • Then in left pane of Registry Editor expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE

Then see what subkeys (folders) are inside Software. I'm assuming you need to locate Coral. If that is there open it and see what subkeys it contains etcetera ... We are looking for something about WordPerfect and Suite 17

Let me know if you find it

Reaction score
Hello Regedit 32. I did find a Restore Point but after running restore I got the same HKEY error. I have checked the registery as well but cannot find any mention of Corel or any products related to Corel.I think you are right and this is an old program that was woken up by the upgrade. What do you think. Should I just delete it?

Regedit32

Reaction score
If you have no intention on continuing to use it you could probably uninstall it via Programs and Features from the Control Panel.

Before doing that though maybe check HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\SOFTWARE in the Registry Editor in case they installed this program for the Current user only. It may be hiding there.

Reaction score
I searched through the registry editor but there was no relevant info. This has been a real learning experience though and I really enjoyed it. I don't use a word processor often and there are quite a few out there so I think I will look around for a different one. Thanks for your help and patience.

Regedit32

Reaction score
You're Welcome Graderman.

When you remove the program you could also double check your Startup folder:
  • Press windows key and R key to open Run dialog
  • In the Run dialog type
    Code:
    shell:startup
    then click OK
  • This will open your Programs Startup folder. Just make sure nothing there is calling for WordPerfect as that could while starting computer trigger that error message regarding the missing HKEY. If some is there simply right-click and choose Delete to remove from Startup folder.

Ask a Question