SOLVED Error code 0cx0000255

Reaction score
what happened was i was watching a youtube video and the video froze so i closed the window it took a few seconds then closed to the desktop then the screen froze so i restarted the computer and i got the error message 0cx0000255 and a missing file in system 32 i cant rember what the file was and cant look at the moment becouse im on my laptop at school i will update this thread when i get home and see the error i dont think the hard drive is dead becouse when i put my hand on it i can feel it spinning and its also only a month old so i need help any suggestions?

Reaction score
forgot to mention somthing when i put the windows disk in to format everything and reinstall windows (becouse i dont have many files on the thing) the western digital hard drive dosent show up i was thinking for some reason it just wont mount the bios detects a hard drive but it dosent show up in windows install from disk

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
when i put the windows disk in to format everything and reinstall windows (becouse i dont have many files on the thing)
When you boot from the installation media, at the first installation screen, hold the shift key and strike F10 on your keyboard.
That should bring up a command prompt window, in that window type
diskpart
hit enter
At the diskpart prompt type
list disk
hit enter
You should see a list of the physical drives installed in your computer. (IT IS ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL, if you have more than one physical drive installed that you target the correct drive with the following)
Now type
select disk and the corresponding number IF you only have one physical disk installed, then the command would look like this
select disk 0
You should then see "Disk # is now the selected disk" now type
clean
hit enter
you should see "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk" now type
exit
To close DiskPart
type
exit
again to close the command prompt window
Continue with the install and selected the unallocated space now on disk 0 for your target

NOTE: The above commands will wipe the physical disk you target in the command without consideration of any previous partitions or content, the entire disk and all content will be gone, so.....
Don't do it, unless you understand and accept the consequences.

Capture.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I would boot to the installation media and then on the second page following the Language and Keyboard page, use the Repair your PC link and go to Troubleshooting -> Advanced Options and attempt
Startup Repair from there.
You might also give the System Restore option from there a try

Reaction score
Already tried those and I did the first 2 steps you said in your first post and it says disk0 online 298g 450mb free disk 0 is my second hard drive which is an old laptop hdd disk1 is my 1tb disk but it says it's size is 0 bytes

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
YOu can do whatever you want, but.....
IF it were me, I would make sure that I only had one hard drive attached... the one I intended to target with DiskPart and then the subsequent installation
AND
I would simply unplug the other drive for the time being, so as to make sure there was no opportunity for confusion.
Generally, when I see DiskPart reporting a drive size as 0, I assume that it is either faulty or contains a disk configuration that it can not interpret correctly

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Big fan of Seagate myself, but....
It's been a long time since I've had any problems with WD hard drives

Ask a Question