SOLVED Error message: "We couldn`t create a new partition or locate an existing one."

Reaction score
First "MOIN" @all - nice to be part of the community now!

I hope you can help me with the following problem:

I tried Windows 10 today newinstall not upgrading to my computer
on which Windows 7 was running before.

Unfortunately, there was no installation prozess goes on up to formatting.
"We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one."

I have already disconnected all hard drives except for the system SSD but unfortunately it did not work either.

Could it be a formatting and partitioning problem?
If so, Gparted should be a good program, but what exactly should I do?

I have never been faced with this problem and I am totally desperate .... I would be very happy if you could help me !!!

Thank you very much :)

Reaction score
Downloading the GPARTED .iso file to create the Bootable LiveCD and booting to it will give a good view of the partitions on the drive and allow some functions such as deleting all. If the drive is not seen there's a good chance it is bad, maybe motherboard is bad, maybe other things such as the BIOS is not seeing it.

Reaction score
THX4Y'answer!

Hardware can't have any faults because some hours ago same PC worked with Windows 7 bugless.

How to prepare my SSD with Gparted for the Windows 10 Installation?

Reaction score
First thing I'd do is boot in to the bios/UEFI and make sure the ssd is being seen by the computer. Make sure that power and sata cables are connected to the ssd correctly.

Reaction score
THX4reply!

All SSD and HDD's are still seen by the computer.
I haven't built or rebuilt anything.

Reaction score
Start the Windows 10 install process, when you get to the licence key question, just say you don't have a key (add your Windows 7 key later):

activate windows 1.jpg

When you get to the next window, select "Custom" (not Upgrade!) and then select your preferred version of W10 and then delete all partitions and then on "New". Continue from there. :)

windows 10 setup upgrade 1.jpg

Reaction score
I tried Windows 10 today newinstall not upgrading to my computer
on which Windows 7 was running before.
He has to have a partition some where that is not used at all - into which he can install Windows 10.
and if he is using Windows 7 that BOOT - this indicates a DUAL BOOT, and unless he is very careful he will totally loose his Windows 7
which it seems he did want to keep.

Ask a Question