Event Log help with a couple errors

Reaction score
I'm definitely not an expert on what the errors in the event log means, and I've rummaged around looking for information, but I'm not sure if I actually have a problem that needs fixing... Windows 10 was reinstalled clean earlier this week. I'm getting a couple errors in the system event log:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk9\DR14.
Event ID: 11
Level: Error

These appear to appear in groups of 5 errors. Then there are 2 information messages:
The system has resumed from sleep.

The system time has changed to ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎10T14:14:53.500000000Z from ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎10T14:00:02.412825400Z.
Change Reason: System time synchronized with the hardware clock.

Then there's another occurrence of the error:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk9\DR14.

Then the next time they occur, the last number changes. This morning it started at DR10, and the last one was DR14. How do I figure out what "Harddisk9" is? I looked in Disk Management and I don't HAVE a disk 9.

Is this just some strange thing as the computer goes to sleep or is there an actual PROBLEM?

Reaction score
It appears your bios clock is around 14 minutes off he system time. Have you checked those?

HardDisk9 is probably referring to a partition. You might try opening Disk Management and count the partitions to see which one might be considered the 9th. It is difficult for me to tell you for sure which one it might be, but let us know.

You can help pin down which partition might be the correct one by using other methods and there may be some utility which tells for sure but I am not aware of such.

You might post a picture of your Disk Management window and we can try guessing... ;)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It appears your bios clock is around 14 minutes off he system time. Have you checked those?
Could that just be a normal process, produced by waking the computer from sleep or hibernate? Is it possible that the system time is not updated during certain power saving states?
Not being a fan nor user of energy saving features, except shut down, when I choose. I don't know the intricacies of some of those features, but......
It seems like a simple matter of comparing how long the computer sleeps or hibernates and the information indicated by event viewer.

As far as the disk / partition errors, I'll leave you in Saltgrass' capable hands.

Reaction score
I just looked at the event log, and the last time I got the set of errors was just before 5 pm this afternoon. The computer has definitely been to sleep and woken up since then, but not occurrence of these particular errors.

As for the clock difference, I have no idea... It may well be operator error on my part while copying stuff...

I uploaded an image of the disks. Does it start counting at 0 or 1? In either case, if it counts all the things on the SSD as partitions, partition 9 is on the SSD... Do they even get bad blocks?
If it DOESN'T count those odd "partitions" that Windows 10 appears to want, then 9 is either disk 1 - the 4TB backup disk or disk 2 - the 2, 1TB Barracuda drives in a RAID0. Disk 3 is 2, 2TB Barracuda drives also in RAID 0...

So, how does it count, and who's having a problem?

Also, I uploaded a picture of the set of errors... As NEAR AS I CAN TELL, it always comes in a set.
The 5 errors are all - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk9\DR9.
The first information is - The system has resumed from sleep.
The second information is - The system time has changed to ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎11T01:58:05.500000000Z from ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎10T22:27:23.728073200Z.
The next error is the same disk error.
And then I get two warnings. The first is - Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
Network link is disconnected.
And the second is - Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection

I'd hate to have to start running chkdsk on all these - it takes hours per disk...

Attachments

• disks.PNG
    disks.PNG
    35.5 KB · Views: 759
  • errors.PNG
    errors.PNG
    28 KB · Views: 733
Reaction score
I fired up chkdsk this morning from an administrator command window.

chkdsk <n>: /F/R/X/scan/perf

Ran it on every user partition of the SSD, and every other disk in the system... None had any errors, bad sectors, or any other problems found......

Reaction score
Since your system is installed as UEFI, the reference may be referring to the K partition, since there is normally one hidden partition (MSR). I am not completely sure the reference is even referring to the partition since I normally see those listed as HardDiskVolume9. If you are running RAIDs, it may be related to something with that but I have no experience.

Also, if you have added partitions in front of a prior partition, it might mess up the normal counting procedure.

Would you be willing to explain how your drive got to its current configuration? The partitions shown are not the usual install configuration.

I remember errors showing on my system when the system was set to optimize a Recovery Partition. Once I turned that off the errors stopped. You might check your system to see what partitions are set for Scheduled Optimization. SSDs normally don't like doing that.

If I am remembering correctly you were also showing USB errors. Do you have any USB devices connected other than a keyboard or mouse?

Edit: If you get a chance could you use Diskpart to list the partitions on that drive so we can check the offsets for the partitions? I will assume you know how to do that, if not check back.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since your system is installed as UEFI, the reference may be referring to the K partition, since there is normally one hidden partition (MSR). I am not completely sure the reference is even referring to the partition since I normally see those listed as HardDiskVolume9. If you are running RAIDs, it may be related to something with that but I have no experience.

I'm not sure what a "K" partition is. If it's just a normal partition set in Disk Manager, my "K" partition is where I store kits.

As far as adding partitions, this SSD was configured this was when I put it in and installed Windows 8.1. I'm not sure exactly WHAT it wants all those partitions that are hidden and have no letters 'cause I didn't create them. It (either the SSD or Windows 8.1, then Windows 10 did 'em)... When I had to re-install Windows 10, it formatted whatever and created whatever. The Windows 10 upgrade was tried and failed twice, then finally installed from install media, during which it formatted the primary partition. Here's the diskpart stuff:

DISKPART> list disk
Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 931 GB 120 GB *
Disk 1 Online 3726 GB 0 B *
Disk 2 Online 1863 GB 0 B *
Disk 3 Online 3726 GB 0 B *
Disk 4 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 5 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 6 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 7 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 8 Online 7633 MB 0 B
Disk 9 No Media 0 B 0 B

DISKPART> list partition
Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 146 GB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Recovery 450 MB 146 GB
Partition 3 Recovery 300 MB 146 GB
Partition 4 System 100 MB 146 GB
Partition 5 Reserved 128 MB 146 GB
Partition 6 Primary 117 GB 147 GB
Partition 7 Primary 58 GB 264 GB
Partition 8 Primary 146 GB 322 GB
Partition 9 Primary 97 GB 469 GB
Partition 10 Primary 97 GB 566 GB
Partition 11 Primary 146 GB 664 GB

WAY back in the olden days when I installed the original 256GB SSD on my previous system, I recall the instructions making a big deal of having an unpartitioned space for the SSD to use for over provisioning. As I understand it, the Samsung 840 EVO doesn't have this internally, so when I installed the 1TB SSD in this box I just took the last chunk of the SSD and told Samsung Magician to use the 120GB for that.

I just left Partitions 2, 3, 4 and 5 alone once Windows 10 1511 was on and working. They're too small to worry about, and as long as they just sit there and don't cause any trouble I'm happy to ignore them. If I need to do something with them, if you tell me how to delete the ones that shouldn't be there. I'll dump 'em and move all the other partitions down to take up the space.

Also, if you have added partitions in front of a prior partition, it might mess up the normal counting procedure.

Haven't. At least I haven't. All the partitions with letters were done when the drive went in. They haven't changed. Any partition that got created in front of another partition got done by the SSD or Windows at install as far as I know.

Would you be willing to explain how your drive got to its current configuration? The partitions shown are not the usual install configuration.

It's got to be either the SSD installation and configuration in Samsung Magician, or the Windows 8.1, then Windows 10 (back when the original worked), then the Windows 10 1511 re-install 3 times installations. I just let them do their thing. I went out and rummaged around and I can't even find out what partitions are SUPPOSED to be there, what's actually used by Windows, and what to do with the extras. Lots of noise, but very little light.

I remember errors showing on my system when the system was set to optimize a Recovery Partition. Once I turned that off the errors stopped. You might check your system to see what partitions are set for Scheduled Optimization. SSDs normally don't like doing that.

I haven't the foggiest notion how to even tell it to optimize a recovery (or any other partition)... Is this something Windows just DOES, or something you told it to do that I may have told mine to do without knowing any better?

If I am remembering correctly you were also showing USB errors. Do you have any USB devices connected other than a keyboard or mouse?

There's USUALLY at least one flash drive plugged in, along with a USB front panel with a half dozen card readers, 4 USB 2 ports, 2 USB 3 ports, and an eSATA port... Those are always plugged in.

Edit: If you get a chance could you use Diskpart to list the partitions on that drive so we can check the offsets for the partitions? I will assume you know how to do that, if not check back.

Up above... BTW: I haven't gotten any errors in the last 24+ hours even though the standard backups have run and I've been doing the normal pummeling the box... Interesting...

Reaction score
I suppose we can attribute your drive configuration to the Samsung Magician utility to which you refer. I normally just make an image of a drive if I want to move the install. Since a GPT drive can have like 128 primary partitions, I don't see a problem with yours. I just get a little nervous when partitions are out of their normal configuration. But the offset of the first partition is where it needs to be.

Some folks in another forum are suggesting the drive number is exactly that, and in your situation, it would be Drive 9 which seems to have no media. You might try installing media to see if anything changes. I have seen card readers where folks have used the safe eject and cause the reader itself to have a problem. On those, you may find a USB hub which might need resetting.

The optimization options are in the properties for the drive. That window will show which partitions have automatic optimization enabled and your SSD probably does not have any set for that.

If it hasn't had any errors for a while, maybe you will be able to pin down when the errors occur. Keep track of time and any events happening so you can tie them to possible Event Viewer errors or warnings.

Reaction score
I spoke too soon!

I checked the logs last night when I posted, and cleared them. So, I'm only having to look at the last 18 hours or so.

A couple things are happening:
It appears to have gone to sleep at 12:09:00 this morning
The system is entering sleep.
Sleep Reason: System Idle

It then did the time thing - still at 12:09:00 - it seems to do this frequently, but I don't know why
The system time has changed to ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎12T06:08:58.500000000Z from ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎12T06:09:00.488155100Z.

How often SHOULD the system be worrying about what time it is?

Then, still at 12:09:00 it throws the FIVE disk errors, which takes us into 12:09:01 by the time it's done:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk9\DR12. (x5)

Then a warning about DNS clients and it (apparently) sleeps 'til 12:59:30. Which is when it SHOULD wake up for the nightly Syncback backup.

At THAT time I get a couple information messages, then ONE disk error
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk9\DR12. -- same as always

Then I get the two warnings I get regularly:
e1rexpress Event ID 27
Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V

e1rexpress Event ID 27
Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection

Again, I'm not sure what it's complaining about, and the information I've found on the Internet is completely incomprehensible.

At 7 a.m. it wakes up to do the daily incremental system image backup, which takes a couple minutes. Other than the series of information and warnings about e1dexpress and e1rexpress and DNS Clients, it appears ok 'til 07:59:44 when it decides it's time to go to sleep again.....

At that time I get the "system is entering sleep" and the whole series starts again...
5 disk errors
DNS Client warning
information information, then nothing 'til I woke it up at 2:34 this afternoon......

IS ALL THIS FOOLISHNESS JUST 'CAUSE THE THING IS GOING TO SLEEP AND SOME DISK (OR DISKS) IS HAVING A HISSY FIT?

I suppose we can attribute your drive configuration to the Samsung Magician utility to which you refer. I normally just make an image of a drive if I want to move the install. Since a GPT drive can have like 128 primary partitions, I don't see a problem with yours. I just get a little nervous when partitions are out of their normal configuration. But the offset of the first partition is where it needs to be.

I used Magician when I initially set up the drive. Haven't touched it since. If it isn't all the installations of Windows that's creating these partitions, I'm not sure who is. I didn't move the system to here, it was built from scratch, using Windows 8.1 originally, then upgraded to Windows 10, then destroyed during the 1511 upgrade.

Are there unlabeled (unlettered?) partitions I should get rid of?

The optimization options are in the properties for the drive. That window will show which partitions have automatic optimization enabled and your SSD probably does not have any set for that.

Are you talking about the Customize tab with the "optimize this folder" thing? Or are you talking about the "Optimize" under the Tools tab? If the one under tools, I HAVE an "Optimize" button, but clicking it doesn't do anything. It doesn't take me to a screen to "optimize drives" or anything. I tried it on the system partition, other lettered partitions on the SSD, on the RAID drives, AND even on the backup hard drive (a non-SSD, non-RAID, normal HD) - it doesn't do anything any time.

Is there something I need to turn on for optimize to work?

Reaction score
As Trouble mentioned earlier, systems in transition can evoke errors or warnings. I get the e1express errors on my systems at the same times.

The partitions on the drive should probably be left alone. The ones without letters are that way on purpose. You may have one extra one, but they are small. Not sure how many OSes you have had installed, but the 8 to 8.1 update created at least one of the Recovery partitions. OEM installs may contain special partitions particular to them. If you ever do a clean install, you can clear out unnecessary partitions if you desire. If you were to install Windows 10 in UEFI, it would create a Recovery, EFI System, MSR (hidden) and OS partition, in that order.

I cannot really explain the HardDisk9 situation. If it only happens when the system is waking up, it may be the same cause. All I could suggest is to disconnect devices, such as the card reader to see if they stop. I think I remember getting drive errors when I did not have media inserted in the memory card slot on my printer.

The optimize should not be allowed on the SSD so probably best to leave it alone. I don't run RAID setups but they probably have their own version of an optimizer.

If you wanted to check the errors you might set the system to not go to sleep for one night

Reaction score
Hmph! If I'm getting those errors and YOU'RE getting those errors, it means a million OTHER people are getting them. Any chance Microsoft will fix this any time soon?

Windows 8.1 was the first O/S installed. It was put on clean, not as an upgraded from 7. The only OTHER upgrade was to Windows 10. Then the ill-fated 1511 upgrade that caused all this...

I'll try disconnecting USB ports and such.

As far as optimize, it isn't that I WOULDN'T do it, it's that I CAN'T 'cause it doesn't bring up the "optimize" screen when I click on the button. So, I have no idea if it SHOULD work and doesn't or it SHOULDN'T and it's working correctly...

Reaction score
The networking errors have been occurring on my systems prior to Windows 10. It might be related to the network adapter you have on your system and its capabilities. If it is trying to establish a connection before the system is ready, it does not seem to be a problem you should be concerned about.

If you put media in a drive, you can then use the diskpart listing, as before, to see which drive the media was placed in. If it is one of the card reader slots, you backup may include backing up files for that drive or the drive is being checked for some other reason. Put some media in it at least to confirm which drive is getting the error.

As far as optimization, my system Explorer, select drive and then properties. Then select optimize and the options should be active, perhaps depending on which drive you have selected. If I select "Change Settings" and then cancel, the buttons are no longer shows as active, but a mouse over shows they are.

My 8.1 system has an SSD and it currently shows it Needs optimization. When I select it, it took about 1 second and I saw a reference to "trim" flash by it is was done and states the Drive is OK while the HDDs show as "0% fragmented". I do not know what effect having the Card Reader might have. The image is from my Windows 10 system and has no SSDs.

Optimization.JPG

Reaction score
It appears that optimize is running on all drives once a week. I FINALLY got it to display the screen that's never come up before - including 10 seconds before it worked... Bizarre, but nobody needs optimizing and nobody has any fragmentation.

At this point, I'm going to ignore all these errors 'cause they APPEAR to be happening only when the system wakes... If I turn out to be wrong again I'll bring this back to life...

thanks all!

Ask a Question