Windows 10 Broken Touch screen prevents login

Reaction score
I broke the Acer R7 touch screen.
The break in the top right corner causes the touch screen to randomly change the mouse focus
even if I do not use the laptop. The crack in the screen takes focus away from the login prompt
box as I type in my password.

It was using Windows 8.1 and with some difficulty was able to disable the Devices>Touchscreen
Then it worked fine when touchscreen device driver was disabled.

I then upgraded to Windows 10 which re-enabled the touchscreen
However the touchscreen mouse movements wont even let me login.

I would like to disable the Windows 10 Device>touchscreen driver as I did in Windows 8.1
But cannot even login.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pounded on the F2 key while booting up. This seemed to stop the touchscreen for a while. Then I went into Windows 10 Device Manager>Human Interface Devices>HID compliant touchscreen and disabled it. All good!

Reaction score
Thank you for this thread. Just to add my own experience... F2 didn't calm the touch screen for me, but I eventually found a way to get the password entered despite my cracked screen trying to click away.

1. On the login screen, I entered Windows Narrator mode (Windows Key + Enter). This kept the focus on the login box (with a light blue outline) to allow me to type my password despite the screen clicking crazily elsewhere.

2. After logging in, I pressed Windows Key + X, then M, quickly one after the other before the touchscreen clicking started opening other stuff. This brought up Device Manager.

3. I dragged this out of the way of the damaged section of the screen, then - like you - found "HID-compliant touch screen" to disable under Human Interface Devices section.

Reaction score
So far, so good but all is just a workaround. the best solution is to replace the screen. I think, spending $80 on a $650 computer is well worth it. Pretty sure there even is a youtube video showing on "How to do it".

Reaction score
Thank you for this thread. Just to add my own experience... F2 didn't calm the touch screen for me, but I eventually found a way to get the password entered despite my cracked screen trying to click away.

1. On the login screen, I entered Windows Narrator mode (Windows Key + Enter). This kept the focus on the login box (with a light blue outline) to allow me to type my password despite the screen clicking crazily elsewhere.

2. After logging in, I pressed Windows Key + X, then M, quickly one after the other before the touchscreen clicking started opening other stuff. This brought up Device Manager.

3. I dragged this out of the way of the damaged section of the screen, then - like you - found "HID-compliant touch screen" to disable under Human Interface Devices section.
I really apreciate your tip, help me a lot. Many, many thanks

Reaction score
Hey thanks man! One month without using my laptop was a killer; then after reading your advice and trying. ....10 minutes later. .... I'M BACK!
MOST APPRECIATED!
KIA ORA!

Reaction score

Thank you Mark UK followed your steps and got my wife's laptop up and running.

Reaction score
Thanks MarkUK - my problem is now fixed. :) (I'm a new user, just signed up)
Note latest Windows, enter narrator mode (toggle on/off) by >> Windows logo key+Ctrl+Enter
Then you can apply a permanent regedit fix as detailed in this thread by david-cslu.
Thanks, everyone. :)

Ask a Question