Windows 10 broken my PC

Reaction score
Hello, yesterday my windows 7 automatically upgraded me to Windows 10 without my permission (I've been trying to delay it for a while).

Having successfully installed itself last night, today the PC has no power at all and won't switch on. Strangely it did turn itself on once during my earlier attempts, however now it won't turn on at all. I've tested the sockets/leads etc. Does anybody have any idea what might have happened?

Thanks in advance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Turn it off.
Remove AC power
If it's a laptop remove the battery.
Press and hold the power button / switch for a count of 30, just to discharge any residual energy stored in the capicitors.
If it's a laptop, replace the battery.
Plug it back into the wall
Press the Power Button.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I tried to switch it on again this morning a few times. As I started to pull the tower out to disconnect everything and follow your instructions, it switched on. Tomorrow when it fails to switch on I'll give this a try. In your experience is this a common issue? I've never heard of it happening before. Many thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As I started to pull the tower out to disconnect everything and follow your instructions, it switched on.
Sounds like you may have a loose connection, perhaps where the AC cable connects to the power supply unit.
Check and make sure it is pushed in firmly all the way.
In your experience is this a common issue?
No.... not common at all, but.....
Things can become loose, so inspect all your external connections and make sure they are firmly connected.
There are also internal connections as well, like where the PSU 20 / 24 pin connector connects to the motherboard, but those rarely come loose as they have a clip that keeps them in-place if they are seated properly.
Kinda depends on if you've been inside the system, cleaning things out or swapping hardware.

Additionally, if you are using a power strip, you might want to switch the connection it is using or replace it.

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I have left it on recently.I'll check all those bits, must be a coincidence that it happened with the windows 10 involuntary upgrade. Cheers

Ask a Question