Windows 10 broken help?!

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to here so go easy on me! My laptop the other day (HP pavilion windows 10) decided not to boot up properly, every time I try turning on it gets to the HP logo and the little wheel spins non stop, I have no idea what's happening, I'm trying a system restore point but it's just on restoring files and has been for a long time... I tried doing a refresh etc but something was wrong with startup or something... so It tried repairing the disks and I left it on over night and was just on the same screen in the morning... currently restoring files... any help from ANYONE would be so much appreciated.

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you may have started with an update that was hanging, and.....
Now after some reasonable attempts at recovering, you're no better off.
Sometimes, not always......
It helps to disconnect anything you can,
Ethernet cable..... remove it
Wireless connection..... disable or turn off with laptop button / switch
Any and all USB peripherals, wireless, Bluetooth dongles, even a USB connected printer.
See if that helps at all.
IF not
Try booting from the installation media and using the "Repair your PC" link on the second page, following the language and keyboard page, to.....
Troubleshooting -> Advanced Troubleshooting -> Startup Repair.
I've seen some pretty weird results doing this, even after it reports having failed a reboot kicks off with "installing updates please do not turn of your computer" so, it is definitely worth a try.
Sometimes the troubleshooting utilities seem to work better when used from the installation media and independent of the OS installed. I have no idea why, it has just been my experience.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you may have started with an update that was hanging, and.....
Now after some reasonable attempts at recovering, you're no better off.
Sometimes, not always......
It helps to disconnect anything you can,
Ethernet cable..... remove it
Wireless connection..... disable or turn off with laptop button / switch
Any and all USB peripherals, wireless, Bluetooth dongles, even a USB connected printer.
See if that helps at all.
IF not
Try booting from the installation media and using the "Repair your PC" link on the second page, following the language and keyboard page, to.....
Troubleshooting -> Advanced Troubleshooting -> Startup Repair.
I've seen some pretty weird results doing this, even after it reports having failed a reboot kicks off with "installing updates please do not turn of your computer" so, it is definitely worth a try.
Sometimes the troubleshooting utilities seem to work better when used from the installation media and independent of the OS installed. I have no idea why, it has just been my experience.

Hm nothing is plugged in, it's just a complete mess!! Trying the repair from start up now, had it on over night and got to repairing disks? Or something like that... was like that for ages!! Doesn't sound like there's a problem with the hard drive then? I hope not anyway!!

Reaction score
We see problems all the time where a system, which has worked normally, all of a sudden doesn't.

It could be due from some update or something else the system is trying to do but cannot.

A hard drive could always be a problem but that would not be my first thought, unless you have been having other problems prior to this.

If you can disable anything in the bios, such as Bluetooth, you might try that.

Is your system still in a default Windows 10 configuration, you haven't moved any critical folders to other locations?

Reaction score
We see problems all the time where a system, which has worked normally, all of a sudden doesn't.

It could be due from some update or something else the system is trying to do but cannot.

A hard drive could always be a problem but that would not be my first thought, unless you have been having other problems prior to this.

If you can disable anything in the bios, such as Bluetooth, you might try that.

Is your system still in a default Windows 10 configuration, you haven't moved any critical folders to other locations?

I got into the bios earlier but don't think I could change very much... I believe it's still windows 10 config, when I press f10 it has the tiles such as advanced settings in a windows 10 sort of way... anything I can do? I'm trying a repair now but doesn't seem to be doing much? Thanks for the reply!

Reaction score
I have just started a "reset this pc" keeping all my files... let's see if this gets further than it did before...

Ask a Question