Endless loading screen preventing login

Reaction score
Both of the last two cumulative updates have resulted in the endless loading circles with the solid color background, right before the login textbox. Before I was restoring to before the update to fix the problem. I also used the show/hide update tool to prevent the update from installing again. But yesterday's cumulative update has the same problem. Has anyone else encountered this problem and fixed it without reinstalling windows? If I wait 8 hours or so, I can usually log in, though the screen locking after 15 minutes has the same issue.

I can remote desktop in from an android tablet.
I can press ctrl alt del and restart from the endless loading screen.
I have tried the dism and sfc commands, neither of which worked.
I have also tried turning off fast boot and disabling my video cards.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi fotg,

I have not experienced the symptoms you describe but some thoughts came to mind as I read your query.
  1. Driver issues for Windows 10 - What drivers is your computer using? There were many issues with the AMD Catalyst drivers for Windows 10 users and AMD finally resolved that and released a working driver. Have you updated your drivers for your computer?
  2. Update Tool fault - Have you ever tried Microsoft's Windows 10 Update Trouble Diagnostic tool? You can download that from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-troubleshooter
  3. Desktop Background Change - When you mentioned a solid colour background pre Welcome/Login screen that reminded me of an Issue that popped up for Windows 7 and Windows 2008 Server users ages ago after the User had made use of the Windows Feature to change their Desktop Background settings. A major bug there caused delays to reaching the Welcome/Login screen. Have you changed your Desktop Background settings at all? I'm not aware of such an issue for Windows 10, but if you're interested in reading about the Hotfix Microsoft provided back then to resolve that issue go here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/977346

In the meanwhile there are some other things you could provide the Forum which may improve the odds someone can give you the answer you are seeking.
  • Model computer you are using
  • Did you start with Windows 10 or upgrade from an earlier edition of Windows?
  • If you upgraded what was the earlier edition of Windows installed on the computer.
  • Are you using External SD drives? During 2015 some users had update issues which were resolved by disconnecting these external drives during the update process.
Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Computer is a custom build PC, i7 processor, AMD R9 295x2, asus motherboard
Windows 10 was a clean install.
I have the latest AMD drivers including the hotpatch released on the 8th. (16.3)
The update repair tool I have tried. It has made no difference. All it does is restart the update service.
I will have to try disconnecting the external drives and desktop background settings this evening once I'm, locked out again.

Reaction score
lol once again an issue that is NOT of Microsofts doing DOH When will they wake up to the fact that it is this POORLY designed crazily difficult to use WIN 10 system that if most had the choice(which they don't) would gladly swop BACK for windows 7.WHICH WAS RELIABLE AND SIMPLE TO USE .Rant over lol.

ps AMD and most other software designers have been tearing their hair out trying to make sense of WIM 10 which is, in my hones but definitely NOT expert opinion , why these issues are arising.

Reaction score
That's right its the old oops sorry mate try this it might work and oh by the way its not WIN 10 that's at fault its everyone else in the whole computer industries fault. lol Get a grip and accept the fact that win10 has been a total nightmare and continues to be "not fit for the pupose it was designed for" whatever that may be lol

Reaction score
No luck. Changing background and lock screen settings, and unplugging my external drives made no difference. I double checked the rest of my device drivers and made sure they were up to date.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might want to try clean booting your system as described here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for Windows 10)
Easily done, easily undone.

Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

After configuring your machine to Clean Boot, if that seems to provide any relief from the problem you will then have to take some time and determine what the offending program, service / process might be.
Carefully and deliberately one non-Microsoft service at a time or in very small groups re-enable them, rebooting after each change to observe any changes. Then graduate to the Startup items again rebooting after each change.
Understanding that in some cases, a Startup item may have a non-microsoft service associated with it and as a result you may not notice the impact until both the Startup item and the service are re-enabled.

Reaction score
Nope, that had no effect. It still seems strange to me that I can remote in despite the endless loading screen.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried boot the machine into Safe Mode? Does that provide any relief?
Have you tried creating a new user as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user) to see if there is an issue with your profile?

Reaction score
Safe mode works, but doesn't seem to fix anything. I'm not sure creating another account will work, as it doesn't even get to the point where I can choose an account and enter a password.

Reaction score
Yeah, can't add another account through rdp either, it's just another endless loading circle with "just a moment"

Reaction score
I'm giving up and i'm just going to "refresh" my computer. "Repairing problems that prevent windows from starting" fixes the problem by rolling back updates. Doing a system restore also works. But these things only work until windows installs the next cumulative update. I had even hid the previous cumulative update wich started this issue.

I tried:
unplugging all my devices
Disk repair
The dism command
Safe mode
Clean boot
Disabling my video card in the device manager
Ensuring drivers are up to date
Windows update repair tool
Uninstaller everything that was installed in the last month
Changed background and lock screen settings
Disabling fast boot
Restoring default short date time settings (causes issues with somethings)
Boot logging
Digging through event view to see if there was anything

Reaction score
I have an AMD/ASUS i7 machine as well and experience the exact same behavior. I have been restoring to before the Mar 1 cumulative update to get a usable computer back but this is really is pissing me off Microsoft! I am waiting for a "fix" in the next update but am not optimistic - will probably have to re-install Win 7 even though I like Win 10 - if only Microsoft would stop effing it up.

Ask a Question