Extend Windows Partition on Boot Disk C:

Reaction score
About 3 years ago I decided to start the conversion to SSDs. So, I bought a 256 MB SSD and using a clone app. Macrium Reflect, I moved windows 10, without difficulty I thought. Later for safety sake I bought two additional 500 GB SSDs and cloned the Windows disks to theses. Every couple of weeks I clone the windows Boot Disk (C:) Drive. After these years I am running out of space and when I start an investigation, I find three partitions on my (Boot) C: drive. 1st. Window 222GB, 2nd. Healthy (Recovery Partition) 866 MB, 3rd. unallocated 242BG.

Before investigating, I bought a couple of 1TB SSDs, again for safety sake. Now I cannot find a way to clone the C: (Boot) drive to the new SSDs extending the Window Partition to utilize all the unallocated space (somewhere around 700MB).

I have been a Windows Insider since before Windows was released to the General Public. I am 85 years old and my memory is not at all what it once was. There is probably something right under my nose and I don’t see it. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• SSD Thing.pdf
    114.1 KB · Views: 209
Reaction score
About 3 years ago I decided to start the conversion to SSDs. So, I bought a 256 MB SSD and using a clone app. Macrium Reflect, I moved windows 10, without difficulty I thought. Later for safety sake I bought two additional 500 GB SSDs and cloned the Windows disks to theses. Every couple of weeks I clone the windows Boot Disk (C:) Drive. After these years I am running out of space and when I start an investigation, I find three partitions on my (Boot) C: drive. 1st. Window 222GB, 2nd. Healthy (Recovery Partition) 866 MB, 3rd. unallocated 242BG.

Before investigating, I bought a couple of 1TB SSDs, again for safety sake. Now I cannot find a way to clone the C: (Boot) drive to the new SSDs extending the Window Partition to utilize all the unallocated space (somewhere around 700MB).

I have been a Windows Insider since before Windows was released to the General Public. I am 85 years old and my memory is not at all what it once was. There is probably something right under my nose and I don’t see it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thought I would add another look.

Attachments

• Document 29.pdf
    260.9 KB · Views: 164
Reaction score
Hi chevysix,

you cannot resize C: without first deleting the recovery partition, if you right click the unallocated partitions, you can create a new simple volume but nothing else!. :eek:

1606029616178.png

Reaction score
As what Wolfie said. The reason is the 866MB partition is in the way of extending C: into the unallocated space.

Reaction score
Can this be done within win10 or need to get 3rd party app such as acronis disk director?
If so how in win10?
thanks

Reaction score

Thanks for the answers.I was aware of Windows recovery partition being the problem but until your gave the words "delete this partition", I was scared to do it. I went through the procedure and deleted it and I now have my C:\ (boot) drive as a 1TB drive. My question now is, " how and when does the Windows recovery partition (866MB) get produced"? I am waiting to clone my 1TB drive to the spare 1TB drive I have in the system until I get this answered. Like I said earliler, my memory is not the greatest now, did I take some action to create this or does the Windows System automatically produce this Recovery partition ? I guess that is the question I should/could have posed originally.
Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
did I take some action to create this or does the Windows System automatically produce this Recovery partition ? I guess that is the question I should/could have posed originally.
Hi chevysix,

you cannot create a recovery partition that I am aware of?. This is determined when doing a fresh install and using the whole (or part of the disk which Windows does automatically!. If you do a fresh install, it will do it for you but you cannot do it now.

Maybe someone else knows a way but I won't make any recommendations for you. :)

Reaction score
Hi chevysix,

you cannot create a recovery partition that I am aware of?. This is determined when doing a fresh install and using the whole (or part of the disk which Windows does automatically!. If you do a fresh install, it will do it for you but you cannot do it now.

Maybe someone else knows a way but I won't make any recommendations for you. :)
Thanks. I am not too concerned as to recovery. I have backup clones and every thing is also backed up offsite using Carbonite Offsite Storage app.
thanks again. I will proceed and make a clone on the other 1 TB SSD. If anyone has more info please Let me know.

Reaction score
Also, if you delete the recovery partition, it may also be home to the Master Boot Record (MBR)?, if you delete it, you may make your system unbootable?. :(

Reaction score
Also, if you delete the recovery partition, it may also be home to the Master Boot Record (MBR)?, if you delete it, you may make your system unbootable?. :(
Let us find out. I believe I have already booted utilizing the new 1TB SSD but just to make sure here goes another boot using the new
1TB SSD. I think the worst that "should" happen would be that I would have to go back to the last 500GB SSD that I was using to boot just before the clone onto the 1TB SSD. BYE, BYE

Reaction score
2020-11-24 10_32_44-Greenshot.jpg

Let us find out. I believe I have already booted utilizing the new 1TB SSD but just to make sure here goes another boot using the new
1TB SSD. I think the worst that "should" happen would be that I would have to go back to the last 500GB SSD that I was using to boot just before the clone onto the 1TB SSD. BYE, BYE
It booted perfectly so far. What took me so long was to get th screen shot taken and loaded up. So far I am very happy with the results, I will hang tight until after the Thanksgiving Holidays hoping maybe an EXPERT will happen along and have an idea on how I can get the RECOVERY PARTITION re-generated. If nothing turns up my assumption will probably be that there is no way to get it done and I will learn to live with out it.
Thanks for all the help .
Until later.

Ask a Question