External booting and using a laptop with windows 10 preinstalled

Reaction score
My small memory laptop is preinstalled with windows 10. Now, I have an old model scanner which
does not work with this win10. There is no support either from the scanner company, they stopped
supporting this old model. I tried searching a lot but failed to get the scanner working.
If I boot my laptop with an external CD or something with an older version of windows (XP or vista),
will I be able to use the scanner with this laptop then? XP and vista has driver available for the scanner from company website.
Please suggest
Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Hi Austin,

if you have space on the hard drive/SSD, create a Virtual Machine and install Vista/XP in that and then you can use it!. :)

I have not viewed the vid btw!. :)

Reaction score
My small memory laptop is preinstalled with windows 10. Now, I have an old model scanner which
does not work with this win10. There is no support either from the scanner company, they stopped
supporting this old model. I tried searching a lot but failed to get the scanner working.
If I boot my laptop with an external CD or something with an older version of windows (XP or vista),
will I be able to use the scanner with this laptop then? XP and vista has driver available for the scanner from company website.
Please suggest
Thanks a lot
Many many old programs, games, etc, can be ran in "Compatibility Mode" to install if needed " Uncompress the ISO to then make a short cut on desktop, right click setup and move to compatibility mode. MS will ask to test, say yes, then see if it works. then next time
1590673315884.png
1590673341729.png

Reaction score
Just a thought, I use either a Linux Mint 19.x LiveDVD or Bootable USB Thumb drive for hardware testing that does not need Windows, has some support for hardware but I haven't tested if a scanner would be possible.

Reaction score
You can run the program for your scanner in the compatibility mode on your current WIndows 10 machine.
Otherwise you could run Windows Vista in a VirtualMachine But I doubt that can work.
A Virtual Machine is a machine inside a machine. To communicate with the scanner, the virtual machine would have first communicate with the superset-machine which would then communicate with the scanner.
You can get a driver to work in the virtual machine but how would you get the actual machine to communicate with the scanner.

The best way seems to be the compatibility mode. That's it.

Reaction score
Assuming the device is running via USB, you would just need to activate USB I suppose?. :eek:

Reaction score
If your budget will allow it, many medium priced printers also have a scanner. Best way to go.

Reaction score
supporting this Speed Test Solitaire essay writer old model. I tried searching a lot but failed to get the scanner working.
Please suggest
Thanks a lot
my issue has been solved

Reaction score
If you'd recount your solution/what worked it may help someone else in a similar situation. That's the purpose of forums, helping.

Ask a Question