HD Removed from Laptop doesn't show up as external USB

Reaction score
I have a Dell Latitude setup with Windows 10, that has an SSD with secure boot and tpm, but Bitlocker is off. I recently upgraded to a new SSD, and now want to connect the old SSD as an external USB drive.

I put the old SSD in a USB enclosure, and connect it to a Mac. The external HD light would turn on, but then it would start to blink continuously without the OS detecting and mounting the drive. I have a Windows 10 virtual machine on same Mac, and when I try to connect using it, the same happens and I don't see the external drive under device management.

Is the issue with the USB enclosure? Or with Mac?
Can I only connect this drive to another Windows 10 device? Does it need to be directly connected through SATA cable, or can it work as external USB?

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro died early this year when trying to upgrade to macOS from Mac OS X, it could Read NTFS formatted drives but not Write to them, needed third-party software be installed. Some portable or external USB drives are sold as usable on Windows and Macintosh which would mean they are set up that way, yours probably isn't which will limit it to Windows. I use a WD My Passport 1TB drive on Mac, Linux and Windows.

Reaction score
Generally the Computer has a issue with you trying to show 2 OSs at the same time, since they are CLones.
1. open This PC with Right Click
2. move to Disk Management
3. There you should see your 2 Drive.
4. add a drive letter to the proper HDD insure you remember what the Drive Letters are...
such as P then change name to Old OS then you can see once you reboot.

Ask a Question