Could Not Complete Update So Removed

Reaction score
My Win10 OS version is 1803 and build 17134.706. The last several weeks, when my computer attempts to update and upon restart I get a message ..'cannot complete updates undoing changes to computer'....

I think I should be here WinVer 1903, Build 18362.239.

I have 2010{ ? } HP 64 bit Intel (R), Core( TM) i5 CPU M 560 @ 2.67GHZ and 8GB RAM

I have 81 GB of free space on HD. Ive read through threads and cannot find answer to my issue. What am I missing here? Thanks Rybo

PS never had any update problems in past and all apps work fine.

Reaction score
I would uninstall Norton altogether as it is known to block processes. You also can run the troubleshooter (Settings -> Update & Security -> Troubleshoot -> Windows Update) .

Reaction score
Try downloading and running the "Update Assistant".

Ben
Thank you. That seems the correct path as I see this is huge OS reversion. I go the assistant and it did its whole process to completion adn then a differrent window said downloading updates and the next morning I see a little window 'updates failed' or updating failed.

So did whole assisant process again and it was slowly preparing for updates and then it must of be updating cause I could at times how may KB were coming int, so went to bed and this morning windows assistant just appeared and said error coded 03888 something or another and I couldnt copy and paste it and then I must have clicked close window instead of minimize and I dont know how to see that error code now as I couldnt remmber it exactly. Argh!!

I guess I will have to try the other persons idea and disable Nortons and try a third tiime.

Reaction score
I would uninstall Norton altogether as it is known to block processes. You also can run the troubleshooter (Settings -> Update & Security -> Troubleshoot -> Windows Update) .
Thank Dave HC and Grizzly, yes I will be disabling Nortons to try again and maybe this way you mention here above.

Ok I got the error code now 0x800703f1

Reaction score
Ok so I disabled Nortons firewall and anti-virus, the ran update security > troublshooting and at the very end of that it gave a list of things and the first one said something or another and it was flagged in red, so I clicked "feedback", thinking it would send that info to MS. Nope, I get a window askimg me to summarize but firsts I have to sign in, and of course once I clicked on the 'feedback' the window with the troubling shooting results vanished so I cant recall exaclt what that first one that was marked with a red icon being a problem, the others all were ok but I cant recall if they wer just a check mark or green or what but they were ok.Argh!!

So I will now have to redo the whole trouble shooting process and this time see if I can copy and paste to this thread what was tagged with red icon as a problem. Argh!

Reaction score
Ok, so I ran security updates > troubling shooting again, but did not take as long this time and now there are two red "not fixed" comments.

Service regisrtation missing or corrupt ----not fixed
Windows Updated componets must be resolved ----not fixed

I do have CCleaner that I have used every few months to check registry but have not used in 3 or more months now. So not sure how I'm supposed to fix these two problems. Argh!

Reaction score
Ok, so I just ran CCleaner for registry. Only one it could not resolved and it states this sometime due to some application that was uninstalled. Since then been sitting here --1 hour or more-- watching computer inload between 200 and 700 kb/s --is that same a a mac KB---. Once this inloading of data ins finished I will see if regular update is shown in MS shut down menu. As stated previously that has always stated 'could not complete installation so undoing all changes'.

Or maybe I will try the Windows Assistant pathway again, however, if I have those two issues Imetnioned previousl that have not been fixed by running CCleaner then that wont work either. Why does this have to be so difficult?

Reaction score
Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 - Error 0x800703f1

So running CCLeaner of the registry did not help cause I did updates from system updates and it failed and go the error code above.

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 - Error 0x800703f1

Reaction score
You aooarently have some corrupted, or missing, services. Perhaps through trial and error, you could fix these individually.
But, I would recommend you use the media creation tool

And make a fresh install. There may be a couple of small updates required, after completion

Reaction score
Was there some reason you did not upgrade to the prior version of Win 10 but skipped it?

You say you had 81 GB free on the drive. Do you mean in the C partition and if so, how large is the C partition?

The error, as davehc mentions means something is corrupted. You can see the listing at the bottom of my post but that may have happened during one of the rollbacks or something else during your process.

You can try going to the site below and running the setupdiag.exe utility. It may tell you the same thing you already know, but there is other info on the page or one of it links as to files you might use, such as the setupact.log. That is a listing of the process and may give a clue as to what is happening.

Do you have a copy of the install media for 1803? If you have it, you could try upgrading using it over your current install. Possibly, that would clean up any corruption.

ERROR_BADDB
1009 (0x3F1)
The configuration registry database is corrupt.

Reaction score
Was there some reason you did not upgrade to the prior version of Win 10 but skipped it?

You say you had 81 GB free on the drive. Do you mean in the C partition and if so, how large is the C partition?

The error, as davehc mentions means something is corrupted. You can see the listing at the bottom of my post but that may have happened during one of the rollbacks or something else during your process.

You can try going to the site below and running the setupdiag.exe utility. It may tell you the same thing you already know, but there is other info on the page or one of it links as to files you might use, such as the setupact.log. That is a listing of the process and may give a clue as to what is happening.

Do you have a copy of the install media for 1803? If you have it, you could try upgrading using it over your current install. Possibly, that would clean up any corruption.

ERROR_BADDB
1009 (0x3F1)
The configuration registry database is corrupt.

Thanks Dave, I think you may have the best pathway forward. I read aboout SFC scans with another person and that did not work for him. Then he was recommed to do install from ISO. That is what I was going to try, but with you and this other reply it appears I need to do a reinstall of OS 10 to get the missing or non-corrupted files.

I will first check out if the Media Creation Tool will do that.

Thank you salt grass, I do not have any original OS 10 install media for 1803. Also you seem to be saying 1803 if there is another version I should be on prior to 1903 I'm not familiar with it. I just know I go this wonderfull nice computer as a gift and it has been getting all updates with no problem until this 1903 or 1906 whatever it is.

Yes I have 81 free GB on C disk. So I will have to check out Media Creation Tool first. Tommorrow I may have more time.

Reaction score
1903 is the latest Version of Windows 10 as it upgrades every 6 months or so. Your version of 1803 means it was released in March of 2018 and it nears the end of life by October this year (that means there won't be anymore updates after that - I have to live with that too).
1903 a.k.a April 2019 Upgrade or also called 19H1 is a progressive development of Windows 10. If you use the current Media creation tool for install, you will be installing the 1903, no if's, and's or but's about it. The MCT (short for media creation tool) for the 1803 is already deactivated and requires you to get the latest one. even the MCT for the 1809 which is in between yours and the latest, will download the 1903. Microsoft wants all to have the same version, the latest that is...
You can get the latest MCT here:

Reaction score
Sounds good except my stepson say he no longer has the licensing number etc. He recommends I purchans OS 10 on ebay. So that is next move to see if OS 10 1903 is availble and for how much.

All other ways to get to 1903 appear to be too complicated for an amateur like me. EX SFC scan and ISO download then update from that. The latter sounds like the best bet and will look for info on that again. Thanks too all for your assistance. If too expensive over 25$ I will probably try the ISO method.

1903 is the latest Version of Windows 10 as it upgrades every 6 months or so. Your version of 1803 means it was released in March of 2018 and it nears the end of life by October this year (that means there won't be anymore updates after that - I have to live with that too).
1903 a.k.a April 2019 Upgrade or also called 19H1 is a progressive development of Windows 10. If you use the current Media creation tool for install, you will be installing the 1903, no if's, and's or but's about it. The MCT (short for media creation tool) for the 1803 is already deactivated and requires you to get the latest one. even the MCT for the 1809 which is in between yours and the latest, will download the 1903. Microsoft wants all to have the same version, the latest that is...
You can get the latest MCT here:

Reaction score
I'm seeing win 10 Product Key Activation for $1.99 H,mmm if I got one of those for a new enough win 10, meanging fewest amount of updates, then I could use Mediea Creation Tool? Anybody know how any of that works?

Reaction score
I guess I need to know if a key activation code is same as a license, as the license is what is mentioned at the Medial Creation Tool site.

I'm seeing win 10 Product Key Activation for $1.99 H,mmm if I got one of those for a new enough win 10, meanging fewest amount of updates, then I could use Mediea Creation Tool? Anybody know how any of that works?

Reaction score
beware of those keys. They are usually not accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity meaning you only get the key via email. I have done this in the past and got burned as my purchased key was made invalid after only 6 months as it was a MSDN limited time key.

BTW: if you had Windows 10 on your computer you do not need a key at all, just skip the input of the key during installation. MS has a token for your computer stored on their servers, That token only become not valid if you make major changes as in new mother board. changing a hard drive or the video card will not change a thing. your computer, once gotten online, will be recognized and activated with a "Digital License" .
Nothing to worry about, ok. Just do your fresh install with the MCT and you are good to go....

Reaction score
Thank you Grizz, So I dont need a key? I inloaded a program that found my PC's orignal Win 7 key and some 'installation' key.

As for the Medica Creation Tool{ MCT } site, it says a license is needed. I dont have a license just the keys 'original' win 7 and 'installation'.

So I dont even know what was used to get OS 10 on this PC I. I dont know if the 'installation' key is for Win 10.

I also suppose I will need to create a Microsoft account at some point.

BTW: if you had Windows 10 on your computer you do not need a key at all, just skip the input of the key during installation. MS has a token for your computer stored on their servers, That token only become not valid if you make major changes as in new mother board. changing a hard drive or the video card will not change a thing. your computer, once gotten online, will be recognized and activated with a "Digital License" .
Nothing to worry about, ok. Just do your fresh install with the MCT and you are good to go....

Ask a Question