The latest update refuses to complete.

Reaction score
When I was advised that a new update for win10 was available, I initiated the action. The initial process was normal but when it got to about 86%, it began to slow down and when it got to near 95% it either stopped or asked me to restart. On restarting, it went through the same procedure again. Sometimes if I miss this the computer shuts down without any advice that anything is wrong. My only clue to a problem is when I open the computer again it begins with the same procedure all over again. So far this has happened numerous times and I suggest it will stay with me until it is fixed. For information, my version number is 1703.

Reaction score
Download the ISO for MCT, its holding 1709 do a repair install saving your files. If that is not possible use the same USB Chip you created with the MCT and clean install,
You'll have to get into windows long enough to click the Install.exe and start the repair install if you get it going be sure to select save my files.

Reaction score
We have been experiencing this problem for the past month or so on a 2-year old Lenovo laptop; we've tried that recommended fix - tried to load a completely new version of W10 from an ISO. The computer won't do it, nor will it reload it's original version of W10 from the safety partition on the disk. We wonder if this is a problem with this specific computer; it is off warranty now and Lenovo tech support has no suggestions to redress the problem.

Reaction score
OK since this is a notebook, you should have all your hardware drivers saved to USB thumb drive.
When you start the Clean Install, you must boot the USB Install media UEFI. I don't know how Lenovo are set up but there will be a F Key you press to bring up a boot menu, when this boot menu comes up select UEFI USB to boot from and the clean install will start up. It possible that your booting it just USB which is MBR BIOS not compatible with UEFI system.
BTW is your OS a hard drive or SSD? if hard drive downloads the diagnostic tool from the disk manufacturer website and test that the hard drive is not defective.

Reaction score
I am experiencing this problem on a Gateway Desktop since about six months ago. The factory installed OS was Windows 7. I later upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade. For a while all went well, then one of the last updates started showing the same behavior reported above. The upgrade does not complete (gets to 75% , or 80%), then the system restarts, and eventually reverts to the factory settings. So now I am running Windows 7. I tried all the various approaches suggested, and even had Microsoft Support help me to reinstall the upgrade to Windows 10, all to no avail.

Reaction score
Yes, some hardware just will not run windows 10 and as they keep updating less and less older equipment becomes incompatible. I have one notebook that I keep on 8.1 for the same reason.

Reaction score
My computer is two years old. After trying several methods suggested in different forums to install the update and failing I gave up. When the message that " an important update culdnt be installed" comes up I click Hide and forget all about it. Mi bigest regret ? To buy a new PD instead of an Apple Mc

Last edited:

DGB

Reaction score
My computer is two years old. After trying several methods suggested in different forums to install the update and failing I gave up. When the message that " an important update culdnt be installed" comes up I click Hide and forget all about it. Mi bigest regret ? To buy a new PD instead of an Apple Mc

TWO Years - What are Microsoft doing about this?

Reaction score

Suggest a repair Install you won't lose any data and should fix your OS so that it can update again.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem on a Lenovo desktop. Factory install of Win 10. I cannot do a update and several are down loaded but as described above the update fails. Cannot do the repair. I can boot up windows 10 just cannot do the update even tho I get messages that I need to update. I did load up Ubuntu to run along side Windows and Ubuntu seems to be working fine. May have to just forget windows and only run Ubuntu. Microsoft is just not updating for me.

Reaction score
When I was advised that a new update for win10 was available, I initiated the action. The initial process was normal but when it got to about 86%, it began to slow down and when it got to near 95% it either stopped or asked me to restart. On restarting, it went through the same procedure again. Sometimes if I miss this the computer shuts down without any advice that anything is wrong. My only clue to a problem is when I open the computer again it begins with the same procedure all over again. So far this has happened numerous times and I suggest it will stay with me until it is fixed. For information, my version number is 1703.

I had almost identical problem upgrading from windows 8.1 to Windows 10 up to over 90% and locked up.
There was no other way to shut it down and restart it except unplugging it from the outlet.
This ended up completely burning out my MOBO.
New MOBO of course screwed up my Windows activation so have to run it without it.

I do have a possible solution.
Do download, install and run "Reimage" program ( I have opted to subscribe to it for a year at $50.
It is a keeper saving my backside ever since - https://www.reimageplus.com/)
This does completely scans your computer and fixes the current Windows installation, removing all bad or unused files and replacing them with genuine, up to date Windows files from MS repository.
You may have some small problem that prevents the the completion of the Update.
Should work after that.
Tony H

Reaction score
Same problem as everyone else. I finally called Microsoft and they absolutely messed up my compuer so badly that it would not even open Edge, wiped out 2/3 of my icons. Could not even open the start menu so I could not get to my backup. I have elevated support which I paid over 150.00 yearly and could not even get someone that was elevated higher than a newbie who messed it up then had someone who was suppose to be with elevated support call me 3 days later. They got it working but I have had to reinstall about all of my self installed software and get all new icons. Office 2016 would not work at all period. All my contacts were gone, etc.

I wish they would get back like they used to be so you could understand what they were talking about. Guess that is what everyone seems to think that progress is but not me.

Computer still is not 100% working fine.

Reaction score

I don't know why all of you have so many and so much and so many problems with Windows 10 updates??? Which you make, so problematic, this is unbelievable, that all of you have so many problems, why??? I've never ever had these many problems and these sorts of problems ever, I run a Windows 10 Pro with the latest Windows Pro version 1709 16299.334. (That had all the upgrade for Windows 10 visions) and I've updated my laptop which is an Acer Aspire 5750-2414 (which is an 8 years old computer and came with Windows 7 Home initially) that was upgraded to Windows 10 Pro with all its upgrades. This laptop initially had an i5-2410M CPU with 4 GB RAM with a 500GB Hitachi HDD that I have upgraded it to an i7-2720QM CPU that was upgraded also to a PC3-10600S-1333 RAM at 8GB that was also upgraded to a Samsung 500GB EVO SSD that runs perfectly now and is lighting fast on Windows 10 Pro, that use take minutes to boot up, before, but now, its lightning fast on boot up, and speeds are very fast and made its boot up problems with Windows 10 Pro unbelievably fast and not problematic at all now, simple, and the computer that is so delightful to use now!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am experiencing this problem on a Gateway Desktop since about six months ago. The factory installed OS was Windows 7. I later upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade. For a while all went well, then one of the last updates started showing the same behavior reported above. The upgrade does not complete (gets to 75% , or 80%), then the system restarts, and eventually reverts to the factory settings. So now I am running Windows 7. I tried all the various approaches suggested, and even had Microsoft Support help me to reinstall the upgrade to Windows 10, all to no avail.

I have the same problem on the same desktop. I updated my Windows 7 with the free upgrade but now Windows 10 tries to update then I get an error. I've checked it out and it seems the upgrade won't run on my computer. All requirements check out; I a have 1tb hard drive and a 1tb backup so room isn't a problem. If it can't update then how do I stop it from trying to update. It's a real pain.

Reaction score
I have the same problem on the same desktop. I updated my Windows 7 with the free upgrade but now Windows 10 tries to update then I get an error. I've checked it out and it seems the upgrade won't run on my computer. All requirements check out; I a have 1tb hard drive and a 1tb backup so room isn't a problem. If it can't update then how do I stop it from trying to update. It's a real pain.
What windows 10 do you have? Is it Home or Pro or what? Also what version and OS Build do you have currently? Allot of times with these Windows 'Culminate Updates' (as Microsoft says) the update installs but it gives you an error that the update didn't install. See this link and go to your Settings>System>About and see 'Windows Specifications' for the windows version and OS built that you have. This is a link for the microsoft references to all their OS builds: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4089848/windows-10-update-kb4089848 the latest for my Windows 10 Pro is: Version: 1709 OS Build: 16299.334. if it does not work then, (back up all your files) as you might have to go to 'Updates & Security' and to 'Reset' and reset your windows to a previous version and try updates again, if that doesn't work then, you have to completely reset your windows. Hope this helps

Reaction score
I struggled with this last year, my subject in this Forum on this was:

"Windows 10 Creator Update 1709 hangs at 33% during reboot"

I also paid Microsoft for support and the remote people made me glad I had backed up my system as I had to restore it after they got done mucking it up to the point that it was useless.

I took my Dell XPS L501X laptop to the local Microsoft store and their experts worked on it for three weeks. Their conclusion was that my Dell NVIDIA graphics drivers were not compatible with the 1709 version of Windows 10. It works fine with the 1703 version. I worked with NVIDIA to get the latest drivers for the graphics device with the same results. What I have discovered is that Dell (and maybe other computer suppliers) have no incentive to make their computers capable of working with the latest versions of Windows 10. Maybe collusion to force us to by new computers? The best Microsoft was able to do was set my Microsoft update to only update the 1703 version using the Group Policy Editor and not force me to accept the 1709 which always crashes. I was really impressed by the local Microsoft folks.

Microsoft's advice was to wait till 1703 is no longer supported and try to upgrade again and just maybe there will be a fix in the software/hardware and good luck.

Dell's advice was to buy and new Dell laptop and discard my top end (and expensive) XPS L501X, I really have to question why I would ever buy another Dell.

I have several computes that work well with the 1709 update, just not my top of the line Dell XPS.

All the advice to "clean up" and "do a clean install" on my Dell XPS were attempted by myself and the experts at Microsoft with the same results. If you are unlucky and have a computer that has an inherent incompatibility with the Microsoft 10 version that is failing and your computer supplier is not supporting you try to set your upgrade policy to keep you on the 1703 which is supposed to be supported for quite a while. And good luck.

Reaction score

I also paid Microsoft for support and the remote people made me glad I had backed up my system as I had to restore it after they got done mucking it up to the point that it was useless.

I took my Dell XPS L501X laptop to the local Microsoft store and their experts worked on it for three weeks. Their conclusion was that my Dell NVIDIA graphics drivers were not compatible with the 1709 version of Windows 10. It works fine with the 1703 version. I worked with NVIDIA to get the latest drivers for the graphics device with the same results. What I have discovered is that Dell (and maybe other computer suppliers) have no incentive to make their computers capable of working with the latest versions of Windows 10. Maybe collusion to force us to by new computers? The best Microsoft was able to do was set my Microsoft update to only update the 1703 version using the Group Policy Editor and not force me to accept the 1709 which always crashes. I was really impressed by the local Microsoft folks.

Microsoft's advice was to wait till 1703 is no longer supported and try to upgrade again and just maybe there will be a fix in the software/hardware and good luck.

Dell's advice was to buy and new Dell laptop and discard my top end (and expensive) XPS L501X, I really have to question why I would ever buy another Dell.

I have several computes that work well with the 1709 update, just not my top of the line Dell XPS.

All the advice to "clean up" and "do a clean install" on my Dell XPS were attempted by myself and the experts at Microsoft with the same results. If you are unlucky and have a computer that has an inherent incompatibility with the Microsoft 10 version that is failing and your computer supplier is not supporting you try to set your upgrade policy to keep you on the 1703 which is supposed to be supported for quite a while. And good luck.

Just a suggestion, have you tried to disable the ‘NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M’ (that is the problematic thing for the update) which comes with your Dell XPS L501X? Does your Dell come with the ‘Intel Core i5-460M (BGA) CPU’? If it does then you can switch to the integrated GPU of the i5-460M which is an ‘Intel HD Westmere’ that came with only one specification of 12 execution units, up to 43.2 GFLOPS and at clock speed of 900 MHz (which is pretty much equivalent to the 'Intel HD Graphics Tier GT1’) but, it’s not as good as the ‘Intel HD 3000’ which is a Tier GT2 Intel graphics (that I have in my Aspire 5750) but, its adequate as a graphics emulator. Then, try to update your Windows 10 with the 'Windows 10 Creator Update 1709' with the Intel graphics as your primary graphics, as I’m sure that the update will work then switch to the ‘NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M’ and see if that works. This is how you switch between the two GPU's:

To select NVIDIA card or Intel card
1. Right Click on Desktop
2. Select nVidia Control Panel
3. In left panel select "Manage 3D Settings"
4. In right panel select Global Tab
5. Under "Preferred Graphics Processor" select "Auto-Select" for NVIDIA or "Intel" and hit APPLY button
*Now try again and see if it properly selects correct GPU.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Yes, this has been an issue with all high-end notebooks, the problem is the companies are having components modified to fit and function in their own environment and MS can't keep up with all the custom spec's. So if the companies don't modify their drivers to keep up with Windows were screwed. I use Asus and when 10 came out they made it clear which models were compatible with Windows 10 and they have kept up with driver for the ones that are compatible. At least until what they consider the end of life, time period. These last series of updates have caused the issue with all brand desktop and notebook that is on MS hopefully they will solve their issues. Personally, since I have Pro on all my computers I have all updates delayed and major upgrades blocked. This gives me time to see who and what issues are presenting themselves. See if Asus is coming out with drivers updates, Once I'm ready to install I download from the update catalog and update manually. Of course, I create a c:\ partition and drive Images before starting the updates. So far this works for me.

Seems a shame that we have to work with our computers to this extent, and I really feel for the more nontechnical users as this is a real nightmare for them.

Ask a Question