Could Not Complete Update So Removed

Reaction score
Ok so I inloaded the MCTool and ran it an got this error code messaage unable to run tool on this PC.
error code 0x80080005 - 0x90018

Thank you Grizz, So I dont need a key? I inloaded a program that found my PC's orignal Win 7 key and some 'installation' key. As for the Medica Creation Tool{ MCT } site, it says a license is needed. I dont have a license just the keys 'original' win 7 and 'installation'. So I dont even know what was used to get OS 10 on this PC I. I dont know if the 'installation' key is for Win 10. I also suppose I will need to create a Microsoft account at some point.

Reaction score
Oh but I reactivated Nortons so that may have prevented an cause those errors so need to disable Nortons and try again. Suprised it didnt ask for a license or key. Hmm?

Ok so I inloaded the MCTool and ran it an got this error code messaage unable to run tool on this PC.
error code 0x80080005 - 0x90018

Reaction score
Disabled Nortons firewall and anti-virus and MCT upgrade unable to run on my PC. However, no I see that that MCT tool also has 2nd option to created USB or ISO. Aha, there is the pathway to the ISO method so I will now try to create a ISO image{? mac terminology? } to run then somehow install win 10 from that ISO ---on my PC-- write over my existing win 10. I guess that is what I was supposed to do.

Will go create ISO first and then think about and come back here. Thanks to all again. Did see some $20 - 30 win 10 DVDs on ebay and I contacted sellers to see if they were verson 1903. Waiting to here back.

Oh but I reactivated Nortons so that may have prevented an cause those errors so need to disable Nortons and try again. Suprised it didnt ask for a license or key. Hmm?

Reaction score
My Win10 OS version is 1803 and build 17134.706. The last several weeks, when my computer attempts to update and upon restart I get a message ..'cannot complete updates undoing changes to computer'....

I think I should be here WinVer 1903, Build 18362.239.

I have 2010{ ? } HP 64 bit Intel (R), Core( TM) i5 CPU M 560 @ 2.67GHZ and 8GB RAM

I have 81 GB of free space on HD. Ive read through threads and cannot find answer to my issue. What am I missing here? Thanks Rybo

PS never had any update problems in past and all apps work fine.

You need to update the Service Stack Service Driver https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...tack-updates-be-installed-and-kept-up-to-date

Reaction score
Will go create ISO first and then think about and come back here. Thanks to all again. Did see some $20 - 30 win 10 DVDs on ebay and I contacted sellers to see if they were verson 1903. Waiting to here back.
Just a warning, should you plunge in. As said, the Windows 10 licence is connected with the motherboard and on the MS databae. In the very early stage of installation, when it asks for a serial key, do NOT put in anything - select the option that you do not have one.

Reaction score
Just a warning, should you plunge in. As said, the Windows 10 licence is connected with the motherboard and on the MS databae. In the very early stage of installation, when it asks for a serial key, do NOT put in anything - select the option that you do not have one.
Thanks Dave, I tried to create the ISO and the MCTool gave me the same error codes that I got when using MCT to upgrade. 0x80080005 - 0x90018 there is another link on that page but I think I need MS account which if I have I dont recall ever creating it.

:)Anyhoot, I see Clintglm has and idea of what my OS PC may be missing and I will try installing that. Probably will leave Nortons active untill I know his link is secure. Thank you Clintglm Obviously you are very very old and hopefully very very wise Thank You for tip.:)

Reaction score
You need to update the Service Stack Service Driver https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...tack-updates-be-installed-and-kept-up-to-date

Wow way cool. Sounds like exacltly what I may be missing. Thanks

Reaction score
Dave Clitnt Grizz, So got the 1803 servuce stack installed and tried update with windows updater app with nortons activated and disabled and still get an error code 0x800703ft and that is a new error code from windows update assistant. I need google that and see what I can find.

So now I will try trouble shoot via System Update and see what it says. Thanks to all of you Again, but I think I MAY have to buy a OS 10 --version 1903 off ebay. So far none of the sellers ive contacted will state if their item is 1903 version.

Reaction score
I would disable Norton and try again

Dave, I uninstalled Nortons and ran trouble shooter and still have one problem not fixed: "Windows Updated componets must be resolved not fixed" ergo some corrupted{?} udated componets.

Reaction score
So now I posted "window componets not fixed' into google and found this site and tried both command codes but the powershell says they are not valid commands Argh! Give me a break already. Is there a disk repair tool that will find the corrupt files and fix them?????

.."dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and System file checker utility sfc /scannow to repair system image, and restore corrupted, missing system file, which may also fix the corrupted update components and fix the"....

Reaction score
Ok, so I retyped sfc and left a space before /scannow and I get message that I must be adminstator ---as I am--- and running a console session, so now I have to go find out what the heck a console session is and how to run it. ARGH!!!!!!

So now I posted "window componets not fixed' into google and found this site and tried both command codes but the powershell says they are not valid commands Argh! Give me a break already. Is there a disk repair tool that will find the corrupt files and fix them?????

.."dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and System file checker utility sfc /scannow to repair system image, and restore corrupted, missing system file, which may also fix the corrupted update components and fix the"....

Reaction score
Ok, figured out how to run as adminstator via start icon window power shell { admin } so running sfc scan now.

Ok, so I retyped sfc and left a space before /scannow and I get message that I must be adminstator ---as I am--- and running a console session, so now I have to go find out what the heck a console session is and how to run it. ARGH!!!!!!

Reaction score
I ran sfc then ran it in safe mode and it found "no issues" an dgave directions to a log file.
So went back to regular mode and ran DISM restore and found no issues gave directions to a log file.

Then I ran DISM restorehealth and it did its percentage of restoring image and ended with completed successfully so now, I guess I try update or troubleshoot again. Probably trouble shoot, cause it maybe can now fix any problem if there is one and if it can then I know update is not worth trying

Then it is either trying to get and ISO image, which I tried previously via the MCT page, and there was some issue prevented creating that image, ergo, then it is back to ebay to find a 1903 version.

Ok, figured out how to run as adminstator via start icon window power shell { admin } so running sfc scan now.

Reaction score
.."Service registration missing or corrupt" and the windows componet after trouble shooting and all the other stuff. So I'm done.

Going to have to buy a 1903 OS 10 or Pro. I have Pro now as that is what came with this PC as a gift. Thanks to all again!

Reaction score
.."Service registration missing or corrupt" and the windows componet after trouble shooting and all the other stuff. So I'm done.

Going to have to buy a 1903 OS 10 or Pro. I have Pro now as that is what came with this PC as a gift. Thanks to all again!
I sure wouldn't buy a Windows 10 from Ebay, I would get it through Windows Store that way you'll be sure you have a legit OS and prevent future issue with Activation. Log on to your Windows account/Store

Reaction score
Maybe so. I dont see anything with a licensse/product key for under $79.00 so for now I have turned off the automatic updates. So if they stop security updates in October, whats the big deal if I have nortons security?

I sure wouldn't buy a Windows 10 from Ebay, I would get it through Windows Store that way you'll be sure you have a legit OS and prevent future issue with Activation. Log on to your Windows account/Store

Reaction score
Also as a last ditch effort, I opened the MCTool again and just like first time ---ISO file-- it gave me an error code for inloading into USB drive Argh!

Like I say, I got version 1803 and it is pro and all is good, Turned off automatic udates so I dont have to keep using all that bandwidth and getting repeated..." could not complete update undoing changes" message.
I will look so more for older version of 1709 with license on ebay for less money and then with a license I should be able to go through however many of versions to get to 1903. Argh!

Reaction score
I see there is a newer 1809 version. maybe I half to install that one first? Ha, that could be the whole problem. One jump at a time may be the only way to go. Some of the macs OS were like that.

Reaction score
I see there is a newer 1809 version. maybe I half to install that one first? Ha, that could be the whole problem. One jump at a time may be the only way to go. Some of the macs OS were like that.

The newer 1809 version is actually the latest 1903 version if downloaded with the MCT, I tried. I have the MCT of every version that has been published so far, only the original 1507,1511and 1607 can still be downloaded. All other MCT won't make an ISO anymore and they refer to the latest MCT which creates a 1903 Version. It is the latest after all.

rybo, you can skip the 1809 and go directly to the 1903. I do not know what kind of USB stick you have but on occasion that can be the problem. I never create a usb stick through the MCT but create an ISO file instead. Then I use RUFUS to create the USB stick. works every time so far. That USB stick I use to install on a BLANK disk but can be used to upgrade as well. Since your old system will not update or upgrade, I would start fresh. It may be your last resort.

As I mentioned earlier, you do not have to buy a new key if your computer had already Windows 10 on it. This is ONLY needed if you want to change from a HOME to a PRO version. If you install the same version , a key is NOT needed as Microsoft has already created a hardware token and stored it on their servers...

Ask a Question