Could Not Complete Update So Removed

Reaction score
Yeah or take the time to type in that long list of commands exactly with enter keys etc correctly with no errors and even then they state there are little issues to watch out for and after all of that, who knows if it will fix my issue. Thanks Ben for you efforts as they were worth he try.

Probably it time for clean install.

Reaction score
Rybo, over a year ago I ran into a similar issue with upgrading a Dell XPS L501X with an i5 processor and plenty of memory and disk space from 1803, my computer would not finish the upgrade and when forced to restart it reverted to 1803 with a similar error indication. Trying to do a clean rebuild resulted in a failure. I locked the system down at 1803 but was eventually was forced by Microsoft to go to 1809 which has the same failure. I can no longer do Microsoft upgrades on that machine and only use it off network.

The issue was determined to be some drives that Dell & Intel supplied that are no longer compatible with the Microsoft Windows 10 versions being mandated. Both Dell and Intel say the drivers are no longer supported by them and to buy a new computer.

Don’t know if you have the same issue but it sounds familiar.

Best of luck!

Reaction score
I use Dells exclusively. In the whole family there are ten. Two are about 7years old, the remainder newer. None of my family have had any problems with updates or making fresh installs - Maybe the good fairy smiles on us!

Reaction score
Hi Dac, from web sites, "window update components must be repaired" can be very difficult to find the exact problem ergo after powershell commands to SFC/ scan, restore, restore health and those dont fix the problem, then were left with several differrent web sites presenting the next option and that as the long list of power shell commands that has to be typed in and then, if that doesnt work, a clean install is the last fix. Here is link that one of those sites that gives the long list.

I got to thinking I may try that long list as a challenge to self and curious to see if it works. I just need to find spare time.

Also last night I found two other potential programs that may fix the issue;

1} Reset agent ,LINK is interesting but you have to sign document saying you understand whole OS may get locked or not work afterwords, and,

2} Reimage that wants $27. to run their program one time and may find ezaxt problems and fix them.

Rybo, over a year ago I ran into a similar issue with upgrading a Dell XPS L501X with an i5 processor and plenty of memory and disk space from 1803, my computer would not finish the upgrade and when forced to restart it reverted to 1803 with a similar error indication. Trying to do a clean rebuild resulted in a failure. I locked the system down at 1803 but was eventually was forced by Microsoft to go to 1809 which has the same failure. I can no longer do Microsoft upgrades on that machine and only use it off network.

The issue was determined to be some drives that Dell & Intel supplied that are no longer compatible with the Microsoft Windows 10 versions being mandated. Both Dell and Intel say the drivers are no longer supported by them and to buy a new computer.

Don’t know if you have the same issue but it sounds familiar.

Best of luck!

Reaction score
HiDave, I tried the "reset agent" program wherin I chosed #2, window update component reset" and it then goes through many commands on powershell and finally stated, something like "duplicate folders found or folders missing" it had a name for those folders I think but it was 'window componets', , still it did not fix problem.

So that just following those 30 or 40 commands I would have to do manually. Challenge and if "reset agent" wouldnt fix it then it may be a waste of my time. So I have till oct or early nov to decide. May just go back to my slower Toshiba with not a nice keyboard feel but it least it did upgrade to 1903 version and will continue to get security updates.

Hate to not use this HP Elite but I will save money in the short run. Thanks again to all.

I use Dells exclusively. In the whole family there are ten. Two are about 7years old, the remainder newer. None of my family have had any problems with updates or making fresh installs - Maybe the good fairy smiles on us!

Reaction score
Davehc, I was a loyal Dell customer for 20 years having invested in 5 different Dell computers, my Dell Inspiron-E1505 worked well for a lot of years with XP and Windows 7 and did upgrade to windows 10 but did not perform well with its Intel® Pentium Dual-Core processor, not unexpected as technology changes. So, in 2010 I invested in the then “High End” Dell XPS with the Intel i5 technology expecting to have a useable portable commuter for at least 10 years and hopefully longer. The XPS was targeted at “Gamers” and apparently has some specialized drivers to boost the video and audio performance which I don’t need but the processing capability I do use.

Dell, and Intel, stopped supporting the XPS and its drivers quite a while ago and did not keep them updated to be compatible with Windows 10 as it evolves. When my XPS failed to update beyond the 1803 version of Windows 10 in early 2018 I expended a LOT of effort working with Microsoft and others to figure out what was wrong with my laptop, Dell pointed out that the XPS was no longer supported and I should upgrade to a new Dell. They also pointed our it was only tested on Windows 7 and it was never intended to run on Windows 10, talk about planned obsolescence! Turns out there is nothing physical wrong with the XPS and I still use now without security updates from Microsoft because they stopped support for the 1803. I keep it disconnected from the network for security reasons.

I hope your Dells have a long and happy life, my Dell is effectively dead.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that!
I suppose the better news is that, for me, 1803 ran like a dream. I really felt that I needed to go nofurther. From what I read, the forthcoming October update can go straight in the dustbin also

Reaction score
I was very happy with 1803 also, but, always a but, a few months ago Microsoft would not allow me to continue to run 1803 without feature updates and forced my machine to go to 1809 which will not run on my Dell XPS. I've had to disable all updates and Microsoft says there are no updates any longer for 1803.

Reaction score
Dac, are you saying that MS is no longer issuing securiyt updates of 1803? Is there a thread on more specifics as maybe I need to get off this PC before Oct or Nov. I do have Nortons Security but apparrently that is not enough and will need those MS security updates. I dunno.
I was very happy with 1803 also, but, always a but, a few months ago Microsoft would not allow me to continue to run 1803 without feature updates and forced my machine to go to 1809 which will not run on my Dell XPS. I've had to disable all updates and Microsoft says there are no updates any longer for 1803.

Reaction score
rybo, the last update I recived from microsoft for 1803 was 1809 which apparently contains things that cause the upload to fail just like the 1903 update. I can no longer get security updates just for 1803 as the 1809 is insistent that it must be applied, and of course fails.

Maybe your results will be different?

Reaction score
I found a win 10 with key code license on Ebay. It is brand new Flash drive USB in box and will install 1809 for $33.

Couple other older win 10 Pro for $18. $22. and $27. So considering all of those or just use older and slower Toshiba that did upgrade from 1803 to 1903. Doesnt have a few nice apps this HP Elite has or and battery is bad.

The USB 1809 install sounds good to me.

rybo, the last update I recived from microsoft for 1803 was 1809 which apparently contains things that cause the upload to fail just like the 1903 update. I can no longer get security updates just for 1803 as the 1809 is insistent that it must be applied, and of course fails.

Maybe your results will be different?

Reaction score
You can download 1809 from Microsoft at no cost. If you are still using Firefox on the problem computer, go to
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
After the page loads, press ctrl, shift and "M" simultaneously, click "Responsive" at the top of the page, select "Ipad" or any of the devices, refresh the page using the circle icon at the top left corner of the page, click once in the center window, then use the down arrow key to find "Select Edition". 1809 is listed as the "Windows 10 October 2018 Update". After downloading the ISO, find it in File Explorer, right-click it, select "Mount", then double-click the "Setup.exe" file. Most computer these days are 64 bit, but if you are not sure, press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, then type or paste the following into the "Run" box and click "OK".

cmd /k systeminfo | find /i "system type"

Ben

Reaction score
Hi BEn, you forget why this thread came to occur, my "window update componets must be repaired" and Ive done nearly every trick in the book to repair them and none of those work ergo I need a whole OSystem install to get new windows update componets.

See message #86 where I stated, that, iif "reset agent" wouldnt fix it then it may be a waste of my time. And I think it would be a waste of my time to manually type in what I believe "reset agent" did for me. Thanks again your and others efforts.

You can download 1809 from Microsoft at no cost. If you are still using Firefox on the problem computer, go to
After the page loads, press ctrl, shift and "M" simultaneously, click "Responsive" at the top of the page, select "Ipad" or any of the devices, refresh the page using the circle icon at the top left corner of the page, click once in the center window, then use the down arrow key to find "Select Edition". 1809 is listed as the "Windows 10 October 2018 Update". After downloading the ISO, find it in File Explorer, right-click it, select "Mount", then double-click the "Setup.exe" file. Most computer these days are 64 bit, but if you are not sure, press the Windows and "R" keys simultaneously, then type or paste the following into the "Run" box and click "OK".

Ben

Reaction score
Hi Ben, oops I misread your message. I was thinking you stated 1903. Now i see you stated 1809. I may give that a try as may be for some weird reason it does not need the same "windows update componets repaired". It would be interesting to find out and MAYBE save me from the following below

Meanwhile I ordered a OEM version of win 10 Pro off Ebay with key code license to do fresh install. They were asking $35. or best offer so I offered $27. This probably the original first versions of w-pro is my guess. Anyway hope it will install some non corrupted windows componet. I guess I will lose some of my app lications like windows office etc as so for I dont know have a way to do a fresh install and not lose my existing apps. Sad :--(.

It appears I can do a fresh install and keep all of my file documents. SO yes I think I will try your pathways to 1809 first as I have lot of nice apps and I would then have to start all over with updating all of three of four years of win 10 updates to get me back 1803.

Ben

Reaction score
HI ben. got the$27.DVD to install 1809 adn then did all updates including 1903 Yay! However, I did not have patience to wait for a free Ext, HD to come my way so I saved my document files but lost all apps ergo all logins data etc.

But At least I have the HP Elite with 1903. Thx again to all for help.

Ben

Reaction score
sorry that I missed this thread in the start.... Being a Beta Tester, and have (IMO) developed a .bat that seems to work on 99% or all makes Windows Computers, this seems to fix over 99% of all issues that can cause a failure to update/upgrade and saves all you programs.
I post in spoiler so you can see - and if you wish to use copy all to notepad, paste then save as Fixit.bat then run as Admin
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
rmdir /s /q c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

net stop cryptsvc

md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak

xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.bak /s

net start cryptsvc

pause
exit
if you have ADK or VAMT3 installed then add these 2 lines above pause.
adksetup /uninstall

adksetup.exe /promptrestart /ceip on /quiet /uninstall
---------------------------
I use this on all my Clients and have over 1000 thanks on a different Forum(s).

Ask a Question