Could Not Complete Update So Removed

Reaction score
Also after last post I found this website --from March 2019-- that some how assists in doing what your sugggesting.

Actually, it may be easier with the MAC, as you may be taken directly to the ISO download page.
To download an ISO on Firefox, go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
then press the shift, ctrl and "M" keys simultaneously. Refresh the page using the refresh circle in the upper left corner, left-click once in the center window, then use the down arrow key to find "Select Edition". You may be better off with October 2018 update, considering the problems you are having with 1903.

Ben

Reaction score
The Firefox procedure should work on the computer you are using now. It may not be necessary on the MAC. Either way, you should get an ISO for the computer you are using now.

Ben

Reaction score
You may have to add one step to the procedure. If refreshing the page does not take you to the ISO download page, click on "Responsive" at the top, select "Ipad", then refresh the page.

Ben

Reaction score
Also BD, even if these very nice, but older PC was to die, I do have on old Toshiba ---paid $125 for it a couple of year ago-- that has older Win 10 on it and Nortons Security and I would just revert to that. But it did not have as nice a keyboard and would drop the internet connection every other day.

PC prices have come down so, if this one dies, around before or after October, I might make the plunge for PC at Walmart, or wait, I will just go to Ebay like I have done in the past. Got two Toshibas and a two mac minis over the last 20 years. Thanks agin

Even one of my laptop is 8 years old i am running Win10 Enterprise on the same one of the heaviest OS , I just upgraded the RAM and its was all good to go. Make sure dont add any antivirus, I find them useless if you are ethical user. Windows Defender is well equipped for protecting the system.

Reaction score
Even one of my laptop is 8 years old i am running Win10 Enterprise on the same one of the heaviest OS , I just upgraded the RAM and its was all good to go. Make sure dont add any antivirus, I find them useless if you are ethical user. Windows Defender is well equipped for protecting the system.
I don't quite agree with that statement. I also do not like Norton, or most other AV programs, but most of them are better than WDefender.
The PRIMARY AV tool is having your finger connected to your brain. Think b4 you click. I would also install MBAM free version and MBAR for periodic checks. I would use AVG or AVAST but I don't like the interface. I also do not trust PC Mag reviews. If you want to pay money get Vipre or BitDefender

Reaction score
Hi
I also couldn't complete the update to 1903.
The trick was to do a clean install by means of the mediacreationtool1903.exe.
That worked like a charm though it took quite a while.
Another nice thing about it is that I could keep both files and programs.

Reaction score
If you kept your files and programs, that was not a CLEAN install.
It was an UPDATE install.
A CLEAN install will delete all your programs. It will also delete all your files unless you have configured your system with a partition D: that contains all your stuff. It is easy to do and I highly recommend it.

Reaction score
WIndows is a bit odd with updates some times. I've found that if you get updates that won't install it's often an issue with a previous update that did not install properly. Some updates, in order to install must have other updates installed beforehand in order to install properly. Have a look at the updates install history in windows update. If there is something there that did NOT install tackle that first. If you can't get it to install note down the "KB" number for the update and get the installer file for that update from Microsoft. You may find that once you get the errant update installed correctly that the subsequent ones install ok. I always do this when I can't get an update to install and in most cases it works just fine.

Reaction score
Sounds good except my stepson say he no longer has the licensing number etc. He recommends I purchans OS 10 on ebay. So that is next move to see if OS 10 1903 is availble and for how much.

I use Belarc Advisor (free to download and run) to find my Windows key - there are other methods too. Just download it, run it and look towards the bottom of the report for your software keys, including Office etc and of course WIndows.
I had problems with this upgrade and tried to back out, but the back out failed and I could not load or run Windows at all. I bought a new 240 gig SSD and replaced the original (thus keeping all the info etc) then installed Windows from a free Iso downloaded from Microsoft. OK I had to reinstall other software, but at least I now have a clean install and did not lose any data, as I can plug my old SSD in via an adaptor through a USB port.

Reaction score
Hi Ben. Ive installed the 1903 Win10 on my $125. 2010 Toshiba. I was surprised it met the needed criteria. It took 12 hours to via the Windows assistant tool I inloaded from that MediaCreationTool page. So with 1903 I have a few things to figure out before I get around to inloading an ISO image file etc of whatever that will be.

Once I do, then I hopefully place the image on HP and follow whatever steps the MS window states to do.

Firefox has installed a whole new browser on my Toshiba because of 1903 and it does not transfer all of my older bookmarks and data, so in proccess of creating an Firefox account so I can access that data via the new firefox browser.

There appear to be some other things I will have to do also do on this Toshiba with this new W1903 so it could be a few days before I get around to using the Toshiba to inload that ISO file or image. Sorry for the delays in doing so but look forward to trying it when I do.

The Firefox procedure should work on the computer you are using now. It may not be necessary on the MAC. Either way, you should get an ISO for the computer you are using now.

Ben

Reaction score
Ben and others, On Toshiba with W-1903 I'm currently creating a USB flash drive. I chose "use this pc" to create whatever it is putting on te drive. It may be the 1903 version. If so --and I wondered this before revising the OS-- that it might not work for my HP PC.

Anyway its at 15% and its been about 30 minutes or thereabouts. So it is going faster than yesterdays 12 or more hours.

Hopfully what ever is on it the flash drive I can just install on HP and fix those "window componets update componets must be repaired".

.."7. After completing the steps to install Windows 10, please check that you have all the necessary device drivers installed. To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and select Check for updates. You may also wish to visit your device manufacturer’s support site for any additional drivers that may be needed. ".....

This is not very specific step by step directions of what to do with the USB flash drive. Duh, no suprises there, these MS and others often are not detailed enough. The assume most of users are already MS and OS smart, or whatever. Even some of these utubers go so fast showing us what to click on it is hard to follow.

Come to think of it. if this MS inloaded USB comes with no instructions I might seek out a utube direcitonal. Ha;)

Ben

Reaction score
Hi
I have the same as you but less memory and also had the same trouble. I did find on the hp site that it could not install the v.1903 it was to do with the bios and there were no updates for it.unfortunately it was awhile back and I cannot remember where on the site, maybe yours cannot also be updated.
best of luck
brunos

Reaction score
Hi Bem I got the USB flash drive intalled from my Toshiba w-10, verions 1903 and Just used it via the "setup" that is on that drive after MCTool put it there.

At 70% get a update failed message, similar to all of the other methods Ive tried.

So I understand that USB drive may allow me to boot my HP and there is a "boot" folder on the USB flash drive.

But at this point I have no verified clear intructions on what to try next after yet another "update failed".

You may have to add one step to the procedure. If refreshing the page does not take you to the ISO download page, click on "Responsive" at the top, select "Ipad", then refresh the page.

Ben

Reaction score
Many HP computers use the F9 key to bring up the boot menu. You must restart the computer with the USB stick inserted and the instant you see the HP logo, press the F9 key and use the up and down arrow keys to select the USB port. If this doesn't work, please repost with the model name of the computer.

Ben

Reaction score
Ok Ben, thanks, you want me to have the computer off with the flash drive in USB port, push the power-on button and when I see HP logo push F9 key.

Then do run the "setup app" on the flash drive?

HP Elite 8540p..8G RAM...F.OE..11/25/2010

Free Space 39.3 GB

Many HP computers use the F9 key to bring up the boot menu. You must restart the computer with the USB stick inserted and the instant you see the HP logo, press the F9 key and use the up and down arrow keys to select the USB port. If this doesn't work, please repost with the model name of the computer.

Ben

Reaction score
After pressing the F9 key, you will have to use the up and down arrow keys to select the USB drive, then follow the instructions on the screen.

Ben

Reaction score
Ok Ben, F9 worked an I first got blue screen that says "window setup". Great yeah.

Next I get and "installation} window with an little repair line in bottom left corner of that window that gave option to "repair" windows or PC or something like that.

So I chose "install windows", the first time around. It goes to window to install product key and of course I dont have written on a piece of paper so I use the "no product key" option and then I get window with two options. "install windows: and keep all apps and settings" or "custom install" no apps or settings are reatained" or something like that, so I of course choose the first option to keep apps and settings.

So the next window says "cannot install windows from installation media" and to restart computer then use install media "setup program" to install windows. So I did this whole process again with the key code and still got the same window saying to restart and use the "setup program on the install media. And we already know that failed when I tried that yesterday.

So third time with USB boot I tried the "repair windows or pc option and the leads to blue screen with options that are related to fixing issues related to a PC with start-up issues that will not boot at all or not boot properly. So the USB install media is going nowhere.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
However, I did find two web sites 2017 and 2018 dates, that give a long three part set of several Powershell commands that will repair or replace corrupt or missing "windows components must be repaired" issues. They willsome early version ---ergo cheapest--- of W 10 that has a license with it.

Here is the two links to web sites with windows components resets and the first one seems easier to read and follow instructions

Ben

Reaction score
See post #75

Ben

Reaction score
Oops I mean see post #77. All you suggested worked fine but install media but MS does not allow install from that media. Maybe it would if I chose to not keep apps and settings, I dont know as that is not a pathway I want to attempt.

So I gave two links with several powershelle command lines, ARgh!.......probably will just wait til Oct. and purchase some cheapo version of W10. Since that is the date the stop giving security updates for 1803 versions of W10

After pressing the F9 key, you will have to use the up and down arrow keys to select the USB drive, then follow the instructions on the screen.

Ben

Ask a Question