External hard disks keep disconnecting while rendering video

Reaction score
My two WD Elements hard disks keep disconnecting while I render video with Adobe Premiere and DaVinci Resolve. I am worried because, a part from not being able to work on them, if I don't disconnect them, they will get damaged, with time.
They are connected to the pc with a USB 3.0 Hub which has its own power supply, and both of the HD have their own power supply.
With the same configuration but another older pc with windows 7, it was no problem, now that I have my brand new pc, this happens.
In case you wonder, I already set to high performance the power options in the control panel, preventing selective usb deactivation.
I also tried to connect my pc to another power plug in the house, in case the problem was not enough power routed by my multiple plug, where I have the pc, the 2 hard disks, the hub and 3 monitors, with no different results.

My system specification:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x (with BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Pro x570 (non wifi)
Graphic card: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming OC 3X rev. 2
PSU: Corsair RM 850
6 Noctua fans
Audio card: external Focusrite Scarlett Solo I
Storage:
2 external WD Elements HD 5 TB + 4 TB
1 external Toshiba HD 2 TB
1 internat Seagate Barracuda 8 TB
1 NVME Samsung 1 TB

Reaction score
Are your USB 3.0 port Gen 1 or gen 2, either way, I would check cables a lot of cables out there are only for charging cell phones and won't handle heavy data transfers. Also, UBB hub are not created equal look for one that supports heavy data throughput I have moved to USB 3.1 Gen 2 cables. Just to eliminate your USB Ports connect direct and see if that eliminates the issue being your hub. I had this same issue and found this hub to work for me. I have successfully run large transfers between 4 external hard drive one of which was an NVME SSD huge data transfers without any hang-ups or corrupted data. I have done this on my Asus G752VY and my Dell Inspiron 13" 7386. All 4 external hard drives/SSD at the same time moving data back and forth between each other.
So I would look to see is the issue is with the USB Ports I say this as my G752VY the left side port will not handle anything but keyboard mouse etc very low bandwidth items!! My Dell only has one USB 3..1 Gen 1 port 5 GBs transfer rate. if the problem isn't your USB Ports the hub is suspect and or cables

Reaction score
Hi Nicola,

you didn't mention how much RAM you have in your specs, I would imagine that you have at least 16GB's but please let us know how much as you may be pushing your system to the limit if you only have a couple of GB's of RAM!.

Also, how are the SATA cables for your drives set, the NVME Samsung is M.2 yes?, what SATA port is the Seagate Barracuda 8 TB using?, SATA 0, SATA 1, 2 or 3

Reaction score
Also recommend you keep the LATEST BIOS.
my Bios is 2.6 ASRock x570 - which improved USB 3.x performance.

I also have WD external HDDs and I found that Manufacture Rating of USB is 2.0
I run all 3 of them in only USB 2.0 slots they are 2TB and 3TB. I also have only WD Drivers for them. (it is a MUST)
my NVMe M.2 is Samsung and I run Samsung Win10 Drivers for it. (better performance)
my WD NVMe M2 i use WD Drivers for it...
I code.decode, convert Video, and have no sure issue...but then i do no use ADOBE.
I code.decode, Win10XPEs no issues with any HDDs used.
every update / upgrade from MS i always reinstall proper Driver for Samsung and WD.
I find many time people try to use higher rated Ports then the device is rated at....USE Ports as recommended by Manufacture.

Ask a Question