External hard drive format problem

Reaction score
I used rufus install windows go on 8tb external hard drive. rufus alcate only 2tb limit partiton for windows go. now i want format the drive back to 8tb. windows format only format to 2tb.

how to to sove this issue?

Reaction score
My way is to boot to a Linux Mint LiveDVD and run the GPARTED program or boot to a GPARTED LiveCD and delete all partitions to give a drive its as-shipped condition. Either method can also be used to create new partitions as desired and I let Windows determine what it wants during a clean installation but with an External drive used for storage I'd probably go with NTFS or exFAT formatting.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Wouldn't the native Disk Management Tool within Windows 10 be sufficient for the task to remove any allocated partitions / volumes and then format the drive as NTFS.
I willingly admit to a lack of experience with these larger drives as I've never been a big "all your eggs in one basket" fan.

Reaction score
Yes. I would not imagine MS has a limit, but, like Trouble, I have never tried it on such a HD

Regedit32

Reaction score
They can definitely use Disk Management to format an 8TB drive.

Note: They will need to select GPT (Guid partition table) given their drive is larger than 2TB

Reaction score
The thread caught my interest, as said, I have no knowledge and experience of using such large disks.
But, if Windows 10 can do the trick, why bother with a third party program+ (Just an interested enquiry!)
As Regedit says, it seems you select the correct option for formatting - done?

Ask a Question