F8 Key Will Not Boot Windows 10 In Safe Mode. Bcdedit Trick Will Work The Next Time You Boot Only.

Reaction score
F8 Key will not boot Windows 10 in safe mode. The bcdedit trick will work on the nest boot up only. When I go back to the command prompt (admin), the line I typed in is gone. if Ransomware or a virus takes startup over I can not take control and reset to open it in safe mode. It has happened to me before in windows 7 and by killing power and then using f8 I have been able to use some of my softwaore to get rid of it. I can't imagine not having the ability to us a method to boot up to safe mode (with networking) whenever I need to. Is there any way to do this? Thank you for your time. - - - - - Bart1

Reaction score
Folks who have been using Windows 8 have realized for quite a while the F8 key is pretty much useless. Other options are available in Windows 10 to get into Safe Mode. Usually going to Settings and Recovery will lead to an option for a Safe Mode Boot. If the boot fails 3 times you should be given those same Recovery Options.

Msconfig.exe may also be an option. OEM systems may have their own startup key combinations but because the system tries to boot quickly, whatever you try to use be very quick and start sooner than you think you need to for such an option to work.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just preconfigure my Windows 10 computers from an Admin Command Prompt by typing
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
That seems to reliably allow me to tap the F8 key as in older versions of Windows (7 and prior) to evoke the start menu containing Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking among other options.
I assumed that was what the OP meant when he mentioned....
The bcdedit trick
Although mine seems to work reliably every time and I haven't ran into any problem with it only working on the "next boot". For me it seems to work on every subsequent boot.

To reverse this and return to a normal boot configuration....
From another admin command prompt type
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

Reaction score
I just preconfigure my Windows 10 computers from an Admin Command Prompt by typing
That seems to reliably allow me to tap the F8 key as in older versions of Windows (7 and prior) to evoke the start menu containing Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking among other options.

Although mine seems to work reliably every time and I haven't ran into any problem with it only working on the "next boot". For me it seems to work on every subsequent boot.

Did not know that. Thanks for the info. This helps when cleaning video drivers.

Reaction score
Did not know that. Thanks for the info. This helps when cleaning video drivers.
Thank you Guys. I was hoping I would not have to do the bcdedit thing every time I Boot up. The last time ransom ware infected the computer and demanded money I restarted but could no open anything to be able to access safe mode. I took it to my repair tech. He booted with a disc, opened safe mode with networking, ran an antimalware program from the cloud and, yippee! it worked. He told me that if It happened again to not try to click on anything, just restart and use f8 and do what he just did. The program was Hitman Pro he used so I ordered it. this has saved me (5or6) times with windows 7. The Problem is, if, after I'm infected I cant open anything, I can't access safe mode except by restarting directly into safe mode

Reaction score

Sorry Trouble --- Just learning to post. Please read my reply to Big Foot. I ment to send it to you. -- Bart1

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The Problem is, if, after I'm infected I cant open anything, I can't access safe mode except by restarting directly into safe mode
As I mentioned above.... I preconfigure my machines in advance to support the F8 key boot menu, but.....
If you are stuck without having preconfigured the machine, then I'm almost certain that you can use the boot media to get to the advanced troubleshooting options -> command prompt and apply the same trick.
I tested it early in several preview builds but haven't tried it using that method since the RTM.
I might test it myself later if I get the time.

Reaction score
As I mentioned above.... I preconfigure my machines in advance to support the F8 key boot menu, but.....
If you are stuck without having preconfigured the machine, then I'm almost certain that you can use the boot media to get to the advanced troubleshooting options -> command prompt and apply the same trick.
I tested it early in several preview builds but haven't tried it using that method since the RTM.
I might test it myself later if I get the time.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge Trouble but: Boot Media? RTM? I don't know what they are. Is "boot media" a Disk? I Don't Know How to make one. If I boot up normal (while infected) (not able to f8) I end up at the desktop and can't open anything. The only way to shut it down was to disconnect the power. Maybe Microsoft will find a fix for "safe mode" on boot up. Until then, if I can find out how to do it, maybe a boot up CD is the way to go. Thank you for your help everyone.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer (hence "boot media")
RTM simply means Released To Manufacturers which is basically just prior to or simultaneous to the general public release, which in this case was 10240, the one that everyone started getting on the 29 of July last year.

Ask a Question