Faint photo printing

Reaction score
I have a problem printing photos from 'Print' in the right-click menu. The colours are very faint.

The same photos print perfectly from within applications such as Irfanview and Microsoft Publisher.

Printing preferences are set to the defaults: Plain paper; Standard quality; Auto color/intensity

Using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell E6230 i7 laptop, the printer is a Canon MG3550 - Canon are unable to help, they just suggest contacting Microsoft for support...

Ideas?

Reaction score
Exactly which program, other that what you mentioned, are you doing that printing from? If from a Browser, I've always found it better to Save an image first then open it in one of the graphics programs, my preference is usually Windows Photo Viewer, can't quite get around to Photos yet.

Reaction score
I'm printing digital camera photos directly from File Explorer within Windows, i.e. browse to the photo file I want to print, right-click and select Print.
I do this because of the options available to, for example, print 2, 4 or 9 photos on one page. It's far simpler to use the built-in print option than to use a separate application for this purpose. The problem is the photos colours are washed out, which is not the case when printing from applications like Irfanview.

Reaction score
I do this because of the options available to, for example, print 2, 4 or 9 photos on one page.
That's exactly why I use Windows Photo Viewer.
WindowsPhotoViewer.png

Reaction score
That 'Print pictures' window is exactly what you get when selecting Print from the right-click menu...
All photos printed from there are washed out.

Reaction score
That's how I start with pictures, either double-click or right-click and open with. The image I used for an example was taken early morning, without flash and through the bedroom window.

Reaction score
Well, thanks for the input but I'm no further forward with resolving my printing issue.

Reaction score
If using Windows Photo Viewer be sure to check the settings, one would be Draft mode, may want to change that to Normal. And there's other Options at bottom right of the Printer pane that may affect the job, just have to check what is available there. Or in other words, look around in the program to see what you can change. I have not been able to produce a fainter printout except in the Draft mode, isn't intended to be a finished product, mostly to save ink/toner.

Reaction score
I have the exact same issue since an update. It used to work on all computers in the house. Then one had the problem and the second not. Now both have this issue.

Ask a Question